Alberta’s economy has recovered strongly, and Alberta’s government is focused on creating more jobs and diversifying the economy. Research and innovation within Alberta’s post-secondary system plays an integral role in growing the economy and securing Alberta’s future.
The Alberta government is investing in important research and programs through the Cumming Medical Research Fund at the University of Calgary and the Peter Lougheed Leadership Initiative at the University of Alberta and the Banff Centre.
“Alberta’s world-class post-secondary system hosts cutting-edge research initiatives and student leader opportunities. These investments will help ensure Alberta’s students can lead us into the future with confidence.”
“Thanks to our tremendous health care professionals and academics, Alberta has always been a leader in medical research. More funding means more expertise examining important health care challenges, which ultimately leads to a healthier population through better prevention and care.”
The University of Calgary’s Cumming School of Medicine is internationally recognized for its global initiatives and research in many areas, including sport injury prevention.
“This investment renews the Government of Alberta’s commitment to match Geoff Cumming’s historic philanthropic gift to the University of Calgary. The funds support the Cumming School of Medicine’s leading edge research programs in brain and mental health, inflammation, and chronic diseases, providing real benefits.”
The Peter Lougheed Leadership Initiative provides new, transformative programs for government, social, Indigenous and business leaders at the University of Alberta and the Banff Centre.
"This is an important investment in Alberta’s young people and in the next generation of leaders. The Peter Lougheed Leadership College empowers students from all disciplines to grow their skills so they can lead with purpose, tackle global challenges and build a better future for everyone.”
Budget 2023 secures Alberta’s future by transforming the health care system to meet people’s needs, supporting Albertans with the high cost of living, keeping our communities safe and driving the economy with more jobs, quality education and continued diversification.
Cumming Medical Research Fund
- Budget 2023 includes a $794,000 payment, followed by a $5-million payment in 2024 and back to a full allocation of $10 million in 2025 and onward.
- The fund invests 75 per cent of its money into the school’s primary research priorities – brain studies, mental health and infection, inflammation and chronic diseases.
- The remaining 25 per cent supports emerging initiatives in research that may lead to transformative impacts on health in Alberta and around the world.
Peter Lougheed Leadership Initiative
- Budget 2023 includes a $278,000 payment to each institution, followed by a $1.75-million payment to each of the institutions in 2024, and returning to a full allocation of $3.5 million in 2025 and onward.
- The University of Alberta offers curricular and co-curricular opportunities for students as part of a two-year certificate in interdisciplinary leadership studies program. Students can also take part in mentorship programs, lecture series and community-based leadership courses.
- Banff Centre focuses on Indigenous leadership, creative industries leadership and system leadership. The centre also offers learning opportunities for diverse cohorts within those different areas.