Keeping Alberta Affordable: Eligible seniors and families with children under 18 can apply for $600 affordability payments. Learn more and apply now
The Northern and Regional Economic Development (NRED) program gives Alberta municipalities, Indigenous communities and non-profit organizations across the province the opportunity to receive funding for projects that promote regional economic growth and diversification.
“Communities across Alberta have unique needs and priorities. All Albertans deserve to benefit from the renewed Alberta Advantage, so our government is supporting projects that help create jobs, attract investment and fuel opportunities and economic prosperity across our province.”
To build Alberta’s economic momentum, Alberta’s government has committed up to $2 million for the NRED program to help deliver business supports, support labour force attraction and retention, enhance Alberta’s tourism and build capacity for economic growth.
“Supporting Alberta business starts from the ground up. The Northern and Regional Economic Development program will give community members the chance to invest in projects that help bring in jobs while fuelling growth in their local economy.”
Examples of eligible projects include revitalizing central business districts, supporting new resources within a municipality or organization, creating wayfinding signage to direct shoppers or tourists, developing strategies to address local labour force gaps and improving internet connectivity in commercial areas. Projects based in northern Alberta or led by Indigenous communities, including First Nations and Metis Settlements, will have a dedicated application stream to support their unique economic priorities.
Additional information and application forms are available online.
- The NRED program supports projects that focus on five key areas:
- Investment in economic development infrastructure
- Business supports
- Labour force attraction and retention
- Tourism planning, capacity building and infrastructure
- Economic development capacity building
- There are two funding streams under the program:
- Northern Development and Indigenous Stream: Open to eligible projects based in northern Alberta and to Indigenous applicants, including First Nations and Metis Settlements.
- Regional Development Stream: Open to eligible projects based outside of northern Alberta and to non-Indigenous applicants.
- Approved applicants are eligible to receive between $20,000 and $200,000 per project.
- The program will provide up to 50 per cent of total eligible project costs. Indigenous applicants could receive up to 75 per cent of total eligible project costs.