COVID-19 Updates: Taking steps to return to normal.
Together, through the Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program, the governments of Canada and Alberta, the City of Calgary and the Glenbow Institute will provide $105 million for the Glenbow Museum’s Reimagine Project.
“The Glenbow is a jewel in Alberta’s cultural crown. We have an obligation to ensure the preservation of the Glenbow’s world-class collection of art and artifacts, and ensure that it is accessible to Albertans and visitors for generations to come. These historic taxpayer investments will create good-paying construction jobs and a world-class museum for Albertans to enjoy while improving our tourism experience for visitors.”
“By coming together to fund the incredible Glenbow Museum revitalization project, we are building communities, boosting economies and creating jobs. The Glenbow has been an important Calgary institution for decades and this project will ensure future generations of Albertans can access our shared history.”
“As one of the crowning cultural institutions in this province, the Glenbow helps share Alberta’s story with the world. Investing in the museum’s revitalization project is an investment in the future of Alberta as an economic and cultural powerhouse on the national and global stage.”
“Our government is proud to work with our provincial and municipal partners to fund this landmark investment in one of Alberta’s premier cultural destinations. Calgarians and visitors alike will soon be able to enjoy a revitalized, eco-friendly Glenbow Museum that will be even better equipped to showcase Alberta’s rich diversity and cultural history.”
“Museums and other cultural facilities turn cities into communities where people want to live, work and raise their families. Federal funding for the renovation of the Glenbow Museum will ensure that Calgarians have access to this historic Alberta landmark for many years to come.”
“Calgary recognizes that cities need to play an active role in climate innovation. Today's investment will ensure the Glenbow is a leading sustainably designed art museum in Canada, enriching the lives of generations to come and bringing renewed energy to Calgary's downtown. Thank you to all the partners involved – the Government of Canada, the Government of Alberta, the JR Shaw family and the Glenbow-Alberta Institute for joining the city in this important project."
“This contribution to the Glenbow Reimagined campaign will help ensure a sustainable future for Glenbow, the Earth and future generations. We are grateful for the support of the Government of Canada and Government of Alberta that will empower Glenbow to lead the way in sustainable museum design.”
- The $105 million provided through the Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program for the Glenbow Museum project includes:
- $40 million from the Government of Canada
- $40 million from the Government of Alberta (approved in Budget 2020)
- $14 million from the Glenbow-Alberta Institute
- $11 million from the City of Calgary
- The Glenbow Reimagined project will provide greater access to a quarter-million works of art and objects that help visitors discover and understand cultural diversity, promote inclusivity and better understand themselves as Calgarians, Albertans and Canadians.
- The project’s scope includes:
- redesign and upgrades to the collections storage facility
- renovations to the interior and exterior of the building
- updates to the HVAC, electrical, plumbing and fire suppression systems
- new or renewed spaces, including exhibitions, galleries, offices, administration and conservation laboratories