Alberta is known for hosting world-class sporting events that are well attended, fun and safe for all. The 2026 FIFA World Cup is a great platform for economic investment, boosting our global profile and building Alberta’s sporting legacy.
In recognition of this, Alberta’s government will support the City of Edmonton’s bid to host the FIFA World Cup in 2026 with a maximum contribution of $110.12 million, with conditions. A provincial secretariat will also be created.
The secretariat will participate in the negotiations of the multiparty agreement, oversee implementation of the province’s responsibilities and assist in coordination as necessary, if the City of Edmonton’s bid is successful.
“Alberta has a history of hosting world-class sporting events that are well attended, fun and safe, so FIFA 2026 would be a natural fit for our province. We’re supporting Edmonton’s bid because it makes sense – there are a multitude of economic and social benefits that will come with hosting the world’s largest soccer celebration.”
“A successful FIFA bid will showcase Alberta on the world stage as a great place to live, work and visit. We are happy to support the city’s bid and ensure that Albertans across the province can celebrate this event.”
- This funding commitment is subject to the following terms and conditions:
- Confirmation of federal and municipal funding for the bid.
- Acknowledgement and acceptance of the province’s letters of assurance as presented to the City of Edmonton and in response to the FIFA Government Guarantees.
- Confirmation that the City of Edmonton is assured to host at least five games by FIFA, if accepted as a host city, and that at least two of these five games are at the round of 32 or round of 16 knockout stages.
- Confirmation that unforeseen security costs will be the responsibility of the city and the federal government.
- The City of Edmonton will be allocated a number of seats in each game, as is standard practice during FIFA games.
- The province is asking for one-third of the seating allocated to the City of Edmonton.