COVID-19 Updates: Protecting Albertans from the Omicron variant.
Approximately 900 construction and trades workers are working 24-7 to keep the project on schedule despite the pandemic and supply chain issues.
Construction of this two million square foot project is on track, with handover to Alberta Health Services expected in the fall of 2022 for building commissioning.
When open in late 2023, the $1.4-billion Calgary Cancer Centre will be one of the largest and most modern health facilities of its kind in the world. It will increase cancer care capacity in Calgary by bringing together and offering more world-class cancer care.
“The progress on the Calgary Cancer Centre is great news for Albertans. This huge project is part of Alberta’s Recovery Plan, creating jobs now while building Alberta’s future. This centre will save lives by giving Albertans world-class cancer care.”
“The Calgary Cancer Centre is an economic generator and job creator in the Calgary region. As of October, it’s estimated that this project has generated over seven million hours of work, reflecting our government’s commitment to saving lives and livelihoods by keeping Albertans working.”
“Every day in our health system, dedicated physicians, nurses and health-care staff provide compassionate, quality cancer care and treatment to Albertans, no matter where they live. This new hospital supports that work and will mean even more people and families in Calgary and southern Alberta will have access to innovative treatment, new research initiatives and the modern, life-saving services they deserve.”
Current construction focus
- The building envelope is nearly complete and the exterior hard landscaping has started.
- The interior fit out is well underway. This includes the installation of flooring, walls, ceilings, millwork and some minor medical equipment.
- The major mechanical and electrical systems, such as heating, HVAC and power, have been installed and are in the process of being fully operational.
- Radiation therapy vaults are completed.
What will happen next
- Completion of construction and ongoing quality control and inspections will be completed.
- Major pieces of medical equipment such as linear accelerators and MRIs will be installed.
- As of October 2021, the Calgary Cancer Centre project has generated more than seven million hours of work.
- The Calgary Cancer Centre site covers more than 186,000 square metres (two million square feet), with 13 above-grade levels and five levels of underground parking.
- It is expected that construction will be completed and the project will be handed over to AHS to begin clinical commissioning in the fall of 2022.
- With an anticipated opening in late 2023, the Calgary Cancer Centre will be home to the best comprehensive care for cancer patients and families in Calgary and southern Alberta.