COVID-19 Updates: Taking steps to return to normal.
Following a comprehensive, competitive procurement process, the Alberta government has awarded the P3 contract to Concert-Bird Partners. Concert-Bird Partners will design, build and finance five new high schools in Blackfalds, Langdon, Leduc and Edmonton, where two will be located. As part of the P3 contract, Concert-Bird Partners will also maintain the new school facilities for 30 years.
“This P3 schools project is saving taxpayers money and furthering Alberta’s Recovery Plan to diversify and create jobs by boosting the economy and supporting 1,678 construction-related jobs in communities around the province. In just a few short years, these state-of-the-art schools will open their doors to thousands of Alberta students.”
“We made a promise to build world-class schools and that’s exactly what we are doing. Alberta’s government is committed to investing in the future of this great province by providing modern schools in which our students can learn and grow. I am proud that these five construction projects will provide excellent new learning environments for about 7,000 students.”
“The Concert-Bird Partners team is excited to partner with Alberta’s government through the P3 model to deliver leading modern, safe and caring high schools on time and on budget. This important public infrastructure project will strengthen the economic and social fabric of Alberta communities for years to come.”
- The P3 selection process is based on the net present value (NPV) of the project or the total value of all aspects of the project expressed in today’s dollars. Concert-Bird Partners had the lowest bid price at $300.3 million (NPV), saving Alberta taxpayers $114.5 million compared to government’s cost of $414.8 million (NPV) for doing the same work using traditional delivery methods.
- School planning and design work will begin immediately on the five P3 schools. Construction is expected to begin on the Edmonton southeast high school this fall, with construction on the other schools starting by summer 2022.
- The five new high schools included in the P3 bundle are anticipated to open in September 2024 with a total student capacity of about 7,000 students.
- Blackfalds – Grade 9-12 school, Wolf Creek Public Schools
- Edmonton – Grade 10-12 school in the southeast, Edmonton Public Schools
- Edmonton – Grade 10-12 school in Heritage Valley, Edmonton Catholic Schools
- Langdon – Grade 7-12 school, Rocky View Schools
- Leduc – Grade 10-12 school, Black Gold School Division
- The Concert-Bird Partners consortium consists of:
- Project Lead and Financing
- Concert Infrastructure Ltd.
- Bird Capital Limited Partnership
- Design and Build
- BR2 Architecture
- Bird Design-Build Construction Inc.
- Wright Construction Western Inc.
- Ainsworth Inc.
- Project Lead and Financing
- Forty other schools in Alberta have been successfully delivered by P3, saving taxpayers $245 million over the cost of delivering these schools through traditional government methods.