An investment of $31.5 million in 2021-22 will create 260 new jobs for Albertans and build rural communities for a bigger and brighter future. Budget 2021 includes $103.4 million in STIP funding over three years. Alberta’s government is investing heavily in its most important resource – its people.
“STIP funding will support rural and smaller urban municipalities with local transportation infrastructure. Now more than ever, strong infrastructure is vital to attracting investment, and this funding will help ensure they have the roads and bridges they need to grow sustainably, while also creating much-needed jobs.”
"A significant part of Alberta's post-pandemic recovery will be this investment in rural transportation infrastructure. I am pleased that the Grande Prairie area will be the beneficiary of a portion of the needed investment."
“Alberta’s economic recovery needs to be felt in every corner of our province. This funding will build the infrastructure rural communities need now while ensuring growth and prosperity for generations to come.”
Approved initiatives include bridge culvert replacements in the Municipal District of Willow Creek, girder maintenance in the County of Barrhead, resource road improvements in the County of Grande Prairie, access roads in Peavine Metis Settlement and paving the airport runway in Wetaskiwin.
“This funding is a strategic investment in an increasingly important section of our transportation network. Thank you to Alberta’s government for its support of the County of Grande Prairie and the northwest region’s economic growth.”
“With the provincial government’s focus on economic recovery in Alberta, the money the City of Wetaskiwin receives through STIP will help ensure our airport can continue to operate and support those businesses in aviation.”
Alberta’s Recovery Plan takes bold action to create jobs that get people back to work, build infrastructure and diversify our economy. We are building on our economic strengths to attract investment and position our province for prosperity. It’s a plan for today that provides hope for the future.
- The Government of Alberta is providing about $31.5 million in STIP grants in 2021 to support 48 municipal infrastructure projects in communities across Alberta.
- The total eligible cost of the 2021-22 projects is approximately $44.2 million and the municipal contribution total is approximately $12.7 million.
- Local Road Bridges Program – 39 projects receiving approximately $16.35 million in provincial funding. The contribution breakdown for this program is 75 per cent provincial and 25 per cent municipal funding
- Resource Road Program – four projects receiving approximately $5.35 million in provincial funding. This program provides 50 per cent provincial and 50 per cent municipal funding, to a maximum provincial grant amount of $3 million per project. Municipalities are encouraged to acquire 25 per cent of their contribution from the private sector that will benefit from the project
- Local Municipal Initiatives – three projects receiving approximately $6.9 million in provincial funding. The provincial/municipal contribution percentages vary based on project scoring.
- Community Airport Program – two projects receiving $2.76 million in provincial funding. The contribution breakdown for this program is 75 per cent provincial and 25 per cent municipal funding.