This project is funded through the partnership’s Emergency Preparedness Program and will provide the district with information about how to improve safety and reduce the risk of dam failure.
The review will help improve the emergency preparedness capacity of industry and regional authorities. This information will help the district respond effectively to emergencies that have the potential to threaten irrigation infrastructure, negatively impact human or animal health, threaten crops or cause significant economic losses.
“Farmers in the Prairies always stand to benefit when governments come together to get behind some really important water infrastructure projects. This collaborative investment will help ensure that our farmers and ranchers in the Eastern Irrigation District continue to have access to the water they need to keep putting their good, high-quality food on the tables of Canadians.”
“Irrigation creates tremendous economic opportunities in southern Alberta. Funding through the partnership will allow the district to have an engineering inspection done to assess the condition of a major canal. This information will provide a better understanding of the risks of a canal failure and the potential impacts to downstream residents and businesses. Alberta’s government is making strategic investments to build and strengthen our economy.”
“Albertans rely on water to live, work and play. This dam review is important because it will ensure the best practices are in place now, and for years to come. Irrigation feeds our livestock, waters our crops and provides animal habitats and recreational areas.”
“The Eastern Irrigation District works hard to ensure its water distribution network supports not only irrigation, but also municipal, industrial, wildlife habitat and recreation. The funding for a dam safety review will ensure that the infrastructure remains safe and able to help the district continue to meet the needs of all of those who benefit from this tremendous natural resource.”
Alberta’s Recovery Plan is a bold, ambitious long-term strategy to build, diversify, and create tens of thousands of jobs now. By building schools, roads and other core infrastructure we are benefitting our communities. By diversifying our economy and attracting investment with Canada’s most competitive tax environment, we are putting Alberta on a path for a generation of growth. Alberta came together to save lives by flattening the curve and now we must do the same to save livelihoods, grow and thrive.
- The Canadian Agricultural Partnership is a five-year, $3-billion investment by federal, provincial and territorial governments, with the aim of strengthening the agriculture, agri-food and agri-based products sector, ensuring continued innovation, growth and prosperity.
- Programs and activities are focused on:
- Growing trade and expanding markets
- Innovative and sustainable growth of the sector
- Supporting diversity and a dynamic, evolving sector
- In Alberta, the partnership has committed a federal-provincial investment of up to $406 million over five years towards strategic programs and services that are aligned to national objectives and tailored to priorities in Alberta.