Construction on the projects is expected to get underway in September 2020, with occupancy set for September 2022.
The five schools that will be built are:
- K-4 public school in Calgary, Auburn Bay
- K-9 Catholic school in Cochrane
- K-9 Francophone school in Legal
- K-9 Catholic school in Edmonton, Windermere-Keswick
- K-9 public school in Edmonton, Windermere-Keswick
The province is investing $100 million in this project that will create approximately 560 well-paying construction jobs for Albertans.
“Continued investment in public infrastructure projects like the construction of these five schools is an integral part of the government’s economic stimulus package to invest in needed infrastructure and get Albertans back to work. We are working hard to identify shovel-ready projects, accelerate processes and get construction underway as quickly as possible.”
“Accelerating these five new school projects is an important part of Alberta’s plan to stimulate our economy. These new schools will provide our children with modern places to learn that will lay the foundation for their futures while also getting Albertans back to work.”
“The Alberta Construction Association welcomes the decision by the Government of Alberta to accelerate this bundle of projects to provide much-needed economic stimulus and recovery for the construction industry and our province.”
The key dates for the projects are:
- April 30, 2020 - Request for proposal process
- May 2020 to September 2020 - Selection of successful proponent and development of construction
- September 2020 - Construction begins
- September 2022 - School occupancy