COVID-19 Updates: State of public health emergency declared.
The council is made up of policy and industry experts who will provide insight and expert advice on how to protect jobs during the economic crisis stemming from the COVID-19 pandemic and the recent collapse in energy prices. The council will also focus on strategies for long-term recovery from the crisis, including efforts to accelerate diversification of the Alberta economy.
“This is the most significant and disruptive economic downturn in generations. It will get worse before it gets better. The Government of Alberta will do everything in its power to protect jobs and job creators. The council announced today, chaired by Dr. Jack Mintz, will provide advice and policy recommendations on how best to confront this unprecedented economic crisis, and recover from it in the long term. This will include strategies to accelerate economic diversification.”
“This is a challenging time for Alberta. I am pleased to chair this council of policy and industry experts who will provide advice to the Government of Alberta on the best ways to protect Albertans during this severe economic downturn. I appreciate the seriousness with which the government is approaching the challenges that are presented by this crisis.”
The Premier’s Economic Recovery Council will consist of the following members:
- Jack Mintz, chair
- Clive Beddoe – former chair, president and CEO, WestJet
- Robert Blakely
- Brent Belzberg – founder and senior managing partner, TorQuest Partners
- Bob Dhillon – founder, president and CEO, Mainstreet Equity Corporation
- Chris Fowler – president and CEO, Canadian Western Bank
- Rt. Hon. Stephen Harper – Canada’s 22nd prime minister
- Peter Kiss – owner and president, Morgan Construction and Environmental
- Zainul Mawji – president, Telus Home Solutions
- Nancy Southern – chair and CEO, ATCO Ltd.
- Kevin Uebelein – CEO, AIMCo
- Mac Van Wielingen – founder, ARC Financial