- New mandatory public health measures in effect April 6.
- Get vaccinated: Everyone 55+. Many 16+ with health conditions. Walk-ins for AstraZeneca.
Coverage for Kalydeco was first made available in 2014 to patients six years and older with cystic fibrosis who have one specific genetic mutation. This coverage will be expanded to include patients six years and older who have one of an additional eight genetic mutations. Coverage will also be provided to adult Albertans with cystic fibrosis who have one particular genetic mutation.
“The impact and severity of this rare disease can be significant. We welcome this opportunity to provide Albertans with more treatment options and an improved quality of life. As we recognize Rare Disease Day, it is a fitting time to acknowledge the importance of treatment to those with a rare disease with expanded support for Albertans affected by cystic fibrosis.”
“We have called for provincial governments to expand coverage of Kalydeco for years and so we applaud today’s announcement in Alberta. People living with cystic fibrosis in Canada need access to life-changing medications and Cystic Fibrosis Canada will continue to fight with our community for needed access.”
Budget 2020 maintains the health budget at record levels, including $2.2 billion budgeted for Drugs and Supplemental Benefits. Government is refocusing how dollars are spent to make sure services get to the people they’re meant to serve.
- Cystic fibrosis is a genetic disease that primarily affects the digestive system and lungs. The degree of severity differs from person to person; however, it is often fatal.
- Beginning March 1, coverage for Kalydeco will be provided to children six years and older with cystic fibrosis who have one of the following genetic mutations: G551D, G1244E, G1349D, G178R, G551S, S1251N, S1255P, S549N and S549R.
- Patients age 18 and older with an R117H mutation in the CFTR gene will also be provided with coverage for this medication.
- The pan-Canadian Pharmaceutical Alliance successfully negotiated a pricing agreement with the manufacturer of this prescription drug for expanded coverage.