COVID-19: State of public health emergency declared. Mandatory measures are in effect.
The appointments include new chairs at the University of Calgary, University of Alberta, NAIT and SAIT.
The new members represent a wide range of vocations and experiences, and understand the importance of managing finances, building relationships and planning for the future. The new appointments will ensure the hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars spent every year are providing maximum return on investment for all Albertans.
The U of C’s new board chair, Geeta Sankappanavar, is president of Grafton Asset Management and was named one of Canada’s Top 100 Most Powerful Women and one of Alberta’s 50 Most Influential People.
The U of A’s new board chair, Kate Chisholm, is senior vice-president, Chief Legal and Sustainability Office for Capital Power and was chair of MORE, a mentoring program for young female professionals.
SAIT’s new board chair, Scott Thon, is president and CEO of AltaLink and received a Leader’s Award in 2017 by Business in Calgary Magazine. NAIT’s new board chair, Ray Pisani, is president and CEO of Alberta Blue Cross and has been on the NAIT board since 2013.
Mount Royal’s new board chair, Alex Pourbaix, is president and CEO of Cenovus Energy.
The new appointees bring strong financial and industry experience, which will strengthen financial oversight and connections to industry.
"Our post-secondary institutions receive millions in taxpayer dollars and it is vital their boards have the strongest possible financial acumen and management experience. Furthermore, these new appointees will help our institutions build strong relationships with industry to ensure that we are getting better labour market outcomes. I want to thank and acknowledge the outgoing board members for their service and commitment to building a stronger post-secondary system in Alberta."
"Mount Royal values strong governance and financial oversight, and appreciates that the provincial government sees the important role post-secondary institutions play in Albertans having a strong economy and vibrant communities. I am grateful for community members who voluntarily share their time and skills and, as a new president, I am excited about working with the new board members in the future."
"We look forward to working with our new chair, Ray Pisani, and board members as we advance NAIT’s vision to be a world-leading polytechnic. I would like to thank Ray Martin for his leadership to NAIT. He was a strong advocate for our polytechnic and is a true gentleman. We would also like to thank our outgoing board members for their contributions.”
“SAIT is proud of its industry partnerships and we welcome the new members to the SAIT Board of Governors. We thank the outgoing members for their contributions to SAIT and the success of our students.”
The appointments affect the boards of governors of these post-secondary institutions:
- Athabasca University
- Banff Centre
- Bow Valley College
- Grande Prairie Regional College
- Keyano College
- MacEwan University
- Mount Royal University
- Northern Alberta Institute of Technology
- Southern Alberta Institute of Technology
- University of Alberta
- University of Calgary
New appointments include:
Athabasca University Board of Governors
- Nancy M. Laird, board chair
- Bryan Berg, public member
- IIario (Larry) Spagnolo, public member
Banff Centre Board of Governors
- Adam Waterous, board chair
- Patricia Brister, public member
- Donna Kennedy-Glans, QC, public member
Bow Valley College Board of Governors
- Dwayne Dubois, public member
Grande Prairie Regional College Board of Governors
- Ron Wiebe, public member
- Lydell Torgerson, public member
- Brent Cage, public member
Keyano College Board of Governors
- Shelley Powell, board chair
- Kim Farwell, public member
- Christian Matte, public member
- Joe MacNeil, public member
- Staci Millard, public member
MacEwan University Board of Governors
- Carolyn Graham, board chair
- Adam Guiney, public member
- Samantha Kernahan, public member
- Janice Sarich, public member
Mount Royal University Board of Governors
- Alex Pourbaix, board chair
- Karl Johannson, public member
- Chris Lee, public member
- Carrie Lonardelli, public member
- Sue Riddell-Rose, public member
Northern Alberta Institute of Technology Board of Governors
- Ray Pisani, board chair
- Kris Mauthe, public member
- Marlea Sleeman, public member
- Kristina Williams, public member
- Janet Riopel, public member
- Paul Verhesen, public member
Southern Alberta Institute of Technology Board of Governors
- Scott Thon, board chair
- Tonya Fleming, public member
- Lara Murphy, public member
- James Cameron Bailey, public member
University of Alberta Board of Governors
- Kathryn (Kate) Chisholm, board chair
- Daniel Eggert, public member
- Larry Kaumeyer, public member
- Rakesh Saraf, public member
- Tom Ross, public member
- James Rajotte, public member
University of Calgary Board of Governors
- Geeta Sankappanavar, board chair
- Heather Christie-Burns, public member
- Cody Church, public member