- New mandatory public health measures in effect April 6.
- Vaccines open now: Everyone 55+. Many 16+ with health conditions.
This release was issued under a previous government.
Vikings: Beyond the Legend explores the cultural influence, achievements and inventions of the legendary Viking Age. More than 650 artifacts from the 9th to 10th centuries will be on display when the exhibition opens on April 18.
“We are excited to see the new Royal Alberta Museum host its first feature exhibition. Vikings: Beyond the Legend is an awe-inspiring display of Viking culture and how it has influenced modern society. This is another example of opportunities the museum brings to Albertans, so I encourage everyone to go feed their curiosity this April.”
Among the artifacts is the 37-metre Roskilde 6, the longest Viking warship ever found, featuring 1,000-year-old wooden planks and metal supports showing the ship’s original lines. Other diverse objects include jewelry, swords, coins and tools. The exhibition is enhanced by interactive experiences, striking multimedia and augmented reality.
“Viking history still resonates today and this exhibition helps us understand why. Beyond their legendary reputation as warriors, these skilled artisans, farmers, traders and explorers influenced much of our modern society. We are honoured to host this world-class exhibition that brings international stories to Albertans.”
- A replica of the ship Joanna, built with Viking Age technique and materials.
- A dramatic ghost ship made out of iron rivets.
- A replica of the Jelling Rune Stone, often called Denmark’s birth certificate.
- Unique artifacts like Thor’s hammer, Ulfberht swords and the Hevring Flak rudder.
- Elaborate jewelry and coins.
- Hands-on activities with traditional clothing, the rune alphabet and Viking games.
- Interactive components include an opportunity to pick up a replica of a Viking Age sword.
- An augmented reality rowing experience for visitors to test their rowing skills on a Viking ship.
The exhibition runs April 18 to Oct. 20, 2019. Tickets will be available on the museum’s website.
Vikings: Beyond the Legend is a joint venture between the National Museum of Denmark and MuseumsPartner in Austria.
- Visitors will see three full-size replicas of Viking ships.
- The exhibition includes 11 interactive stations and seven films.
- The new Royal Alberta Museum opened on Oct. 3, 2018.
- The museum’s 3,660 square-metre (12,000 square-foot) Feature Gallery includes moveable walls, a column-free space and advanced climate controls to accommodate a variety of international touring exhibitions.