Farm families honoured at Ukrainian Village
Alberta families who have farmed the same land for 100 years or more are being recognized with Century Farm and Ranch awards.
Recipients of the award receive a bronze plaque to commemorate this significant milestone. A total of 96 families are being recognized across the province, including 17 families who will be honoured at the Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village on Aug. 2.
“Agriculture is at the core of who we are as Albertans. It’s an integral part of the foundation of our province’s cultural heritage, our strong economy and our vibrant rural communities. It is an honour to recognize these founding families and their legacy. Our government continues to support the sustainable growth of our local food industry and the hard-working entrepreneurs in this sector.”
“There are not very many farms that make it to 100 years in one family. We feel very lucky to have stayed together on this land. I’ve been here from the time when we were seeding land with a team of four horses to the modern tractors now. I have to say, I prefer the air conditioned cabs!”
Since 1993, more than 1,750 families have received the Government of Alberta’s Century Farm and Ranch awards.
Agriculture is the province’s largest renewable industry, with exports valued at more than $11 billion annually. There are more than 40,000 farms in Alberta, totalling more than 50 million acres.
Alberta Century Farm and Ranch Award recipients being recognized at the Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village:
- The Austin Family of Paradise Valley
- The Botten Family of Boyle
- The Cadieux Family of Lac La Biche
- The Chomik Family of Bruce
- The Flack Family of Spedden
- The Fletcher Family of Wainwright
- The Francis Family of Ardrossan
- The Giebelhaus Family of Bruce
- The Goldsmith Family of Dewberry
- The Holowaychuk Family of Smoky Lake
- The Johnson Family of Lloydminster
- The Kiziak Family of Derwent
- The Koles Family of Willingdon
- The Lundgren Family of St. Paul
- The Minailo Family of Willingdon
- The Skoreyko Family of Bellis
- The Zazula Family of St. Michael
Alberta Century Farm and Ranch Award recipient families will be available for interviews and photos at 5 p.m. on Aug. 2 at the Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village, 50 kilometres east of Edmonton on Highway 16 (three kilometres east of Elk Island National Park). Directions are available on Google Maps.