- New mandatory public health measures in effect April 6.
- Get vaccinated: Everyone 55+. Many 16+ with health conditions. Walk-ins for AstraZeneca.
This release was issued under a previous government.
The $120-million Indigenous Housing Capital Program will increase the supply of affordable homes for Indigenous peoples across the province. The investment is aligned with the principles of the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
“Our government is committed to the principles of the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples. I am proud of this program that ensures Indigenous groups will design and deliver affordable housing to address critical housing needs in their communities.”
“The Métis Nation of Alberta welcomes the announcement of this much-needed funding. Affordable housing is a critical need for Métis Albertans and I looking forward to working with the Government of Alberta on implementing this initiative.”
“The Blackfoot Confederacy supports a new Government of Alberta affordable housing initiative to increase the supply of off-reserve housing.”
The funding is available to any Indigenous governments or organizations. Non-Indigenous proponents must formally partner with an Indigenous government or organization to apply for funding.
The program design reflects the key findings of a provincewide listening tour with Indigenous and Indigenous-serving organizations. Key findings from the tour include the following:
- Families are the demographic most in need of affordable rental housing.
- Units with three or more bedrooms are most needed.
- Housing needs to be in safe, secure neighbourhoods, close to wraparound supports like schools and transit.
- Culturally sensitive housing is required to accommodate multi-generational housing, with communal spaces for meetings and ceremonies, such as smudging.
- Housing must be designed and delivered by Indigenous governments or organizations that are accountable to their communities and citizens.
Applications are now available at seniors-housing.alberta.ca. Successful applicants will be notified quarterly.