Province honours transportation innovation
Some of Alberta’s top innovators have been honoured at the annual Minister’s Awards for Transportation Innovation.
Individuals and organizations in the transportation industry celebrated excellence in six award categories honouring innovation in Alberta public transportation projects at the Red Deer ceremony.
The awards recognize excellence for innovation in design, construction, environmental, safety, operational and transit/accessible transportation.
This year’s award-winning projects and recipients are:
Award of Excellence for Design Innovation
- 12th Street South East Bridge Replacement
- CH2M (now Jacobs) The City of Calgary, Parsons, Westpro, Rapid Span, Lafarge, RJ Watson Inc., GOAL Engineering
Award of Excellence for Construction Innovation
- Macleod Trail and 162 Avenue South – Diverging Diamond Interchange
- The City of Calgary, ISL Engineering and Land Services Ltd., Graham Infrastructure LP
Award of Excellence for Environmental Innovation
- First Long Range Battery Powered Electric Buses
- City of St. Albert, BYD Canada
Award of Excellence for Safety Innovation
- Wind Advisory System on Highway 22
- Alberta Transportation, DTN LLC, VER-MAC, EPCOR, Amec Foster Wheeler, IBI Group, Volker Stevin Highways Ltd., Campbell Scientific
Award of Excellence for Operational Innovation
- 511 Alberta Citizen Reporter and Alberta Snowplows
- Alberta Transportation, ISM Canada, Telenium Inc., Alberta Roadbuilders & Heavy Construction Association (ARHCA)
Award of Excellence for Transit/Accessible Transportation Innovation
- Downtown Edmonton’s Barrier Free Pedestrian Link
- Graham Infrastructure LP, City of Edmonton, DIALOG
Award recipients were selected by an awards evaluation committee with representatives from Alberta Transportation, Consulting Engineers of Alberta, Alberta Roadbuilders and Heavy Construction Association, Alberta Urban Municipalities Association and the Alberta Association of Municipal Districts and Counties.
- The Minister’s Awards for Transportation Innovation are part of an ongoing partnership with the Consulting Engineers of Alberta, the Alberta Roadbuilders and Heavy Construction Association, the Alberta Urban Municipalities Association and the Alberta Association of Municipal Districts and Counties.
- The awards were established in 2004, with the first recipients honoured in 2005.
- Nominations can be submitted for any public transportation project in Alberta related to roads, bridges, multi-modal transportation or transit.