Minister’s Youth Council inaugural meeting
Education Minister David Eggen will meet with his Minister’s Youth Council this weekend.
Students on the council are gathering in Edmonton Sept. 29 - Oct. 2.
This is the first of three sessions for the council. Students will meet the minister for the first time and begin to provide input on education initiatives. They will participate in activities and discussions with Minister Eggen and Alberta Education staff.
Topics will include the School Act, curriculum development and the province’s approach to racism. Council members will also work with Alberta Education staff to develop goals and a vision for 2017-18.
“I am so pleased to be meeting with members of my Minister’s Youth Council this weekend. These gatherings are a great opportunity for students to have their voices heard. Student engagement is an important part of the education system – and I am committed to providing them with opportunities to be involved in their educational experiences.”
- Recruitment for the Minister’s Youth Council took place between February and May, 2017. Junior and senior high students from across Alberta were eligible to apply.
- 232 junior and senior high students applied to be on the council.
- 32 students, in grades 7 through 12, were selected for the council.
- Council members will meet in Edmonton twice next year:
- Feb. 2-5, 2018
- May 4-7, 2018
- Recruitment for the council will take place yearly.