Skip to content Skip to site navigation Skip to search

Firefighters share tips for barbecue and fire-pit safety

It’s the busiest time of the year for grill fires and that’s why local firefighters and the Office of the Fire Commissioner are focused on barbecue and fire-pit safety.

Firefighters cook up BBQ safety tips

Firefighters cook up BBQ safety
L-R: Tom Harnos, Fire Rescue Officer, GOA's Office of the Fire Commissioner; Mike Phillips, ATCO Gas and Bassano Fire Department volunteer; Ross Bennett, Fire Rescue Officer, GOA's Office of the Fire Commissioner; and Keith Martin, County of Newell Fire and Emergency Services

Firefighters from Brooks, the County of Newell and the Office of the Fire Commissioner demonstrated the importance of barbecue safety at the Brooks Fire Department.

“I encourage all Albertans to stay safe and keep a close eye on your barbecue cooking this summer. If you happen to be using a fire-pit for cooking or entertaining, please follow the local municipality’s rules and always be sure your fire-pit is completely out before leaving.”

Spence Sample, Acting Fire Commissioner, Government of Alberta

“It’s that time of the year when we prepare all those tasty treats on our barbecues and enjoy sitting around a fire-pit. The Fire Services of the County of Newell want you to enjoy yourself, but we also want you to be safe. Remember that safety is an attitude.”

Keith Martin, Manager of Fire and Emergency Services, County of Newell

“A big part of summer fun revolves around BBQs and fire-pits. Your attention to fire safety ensures good times are enjoyed by all. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”

Kevin Swanson, Fire Chief, City of Brooks

Here are five simple grilling tips to stay safe:

  • always barbecue outside;
  • barbecue well away from your house;
  • open the barbecue lid before lighting;
  • don’t use starter fluid on lit coals; and
  • wait 15 minutes before relighting a gas barbecue.

There’s nothing like outdoor grilling. It’s one of the most popular ways to cook food. But a grill placed too close to anything that can burn is a fire hazard.


Media inquiries

Government of Alberta