- Hendrik and Gerritje Krijger performed work on their property that was unauthorized under the Water Act.
- This unauthorized work included draining Lake No.21, excavating an area near the outlet at the southwest edge of the lake, and draining a smaller wetland.
- Additional unauthorized activities included the placement of fill material in the lake.
Terms of the Enforcement Order
Hendrik and Gerritje Krijger must restore:
- the outlet of Lake No. 21 to the condition and function as it was before the construction of manmade drainage;
- the bed and shore of Lake 21 to its location as it was before the construction of manmade drainage, and the removal of soil in the southern portion of Lake No.21;
- the wetland to the condition and function as it was before the construction of manmade drainage.
Enforcement orders ensure that action is taken to remedy a situation when it threatens the environment. They are one of many tools – including education and prevention – used by the Alberta government to ensure all Albertans can continue to enjoy a safe and healthy environment.