This release was issued under a previous government.
The order requires the development and implementation of several recovery, management and assessment plans, including:
- Solids recovery plan;
- Short and long-term impact assessment plans;
- Wildlife mitigation plan;
- Waste management plan;
- Mine wastewater management plan; and
- Detailed and comprehensive remediation plans.
Environmental protection order – immediate requirements
- The order requires that Sherritt immediately take steps to contain the mine wastewater solids remaining in Apetowun Creek and Plante Creek and prevent any further solids from entering the Athabasca River.
- Immediately undertake measures to recover the mine wastewater solids in Plante Creek where it meets the Athabasca River; and
- Immediately develop and implement a comprehensive sampling and monitoring plan.
Environmental protection orders ensure that action is taken to fix an environmental problem. They are one of many tools – including education and prevention – used by Environment and Sustainable Resource Development to ensure all Albertans can continue to enjoy a safe and healthy environment.