OHS complaints and incidents

Alberta Occupational Health and Safety helps prevent worker injuries and illnesses by providing measures and information for taking action.

Services and information


Report serious injuries and incidents

You must call in an injury or incident as soon as possible to OHS if it:

  • results in a death
  • results in a worker being admitted to hospital
  • involves an unplanned or uncontrolled explosion, fire or flood that causes or may cause a serious injury
  • involves the collapse or upset of a crane, derrick or hoist
  • involves the collapse or failure of any component of a building or structure
  • involves an incident listed in section 40(3) of the OHS Act at a mine

Call in

The OHS Contact Centre is open 24 hours a day for Albertans to report workplace incidents.

Toll free: 1-866-415-8690 (Alberta)
Phone: 780-415-8690 (Edmonton)

Report potentially serious incidents

A PSI is any event where a reasonable and informed person would determine that under slightly different circumstances, there would be a high likelihood for a serious injury to a person.

An injury is considered serious if it falls under section 40(2)(a) or (b) of the OHS Act, in that it:

  • results in a fatality
  • causes an individual to be admitted to hospital as an inpatient

A PSI is not limited to workers and it does not require the occurrence of an injury.

When determining whether an incident is a PSI, the following factors should be taken into consideration:

  • actual circumstances of the incident (person, place, time, work practices being followed)
  • hazards present at the time of the incident
  • appropriate controls in place at the time of the incident
  • slightly different circumstances (timing, distance, body position, etc.) that may have resulted in a serious injury
  • similar incidents that have occurred within the employer or prime contractor's operations in the past 2 years that resulted in a serious injury

You must use the online forms to report potentially serious incidents (PSIs).

File a complaint online

Anyone can report unsafe conditions at a workplace.

  • Make a confidential health and safety complaint online.

Refuse dangerous work

You have the right to refuse work that might be a health and safety danger to you, other workers or other persons at the work site.

Know what is dangerous work and what to do about it.

Report unsafe work

You must report unsafe work conditions to your employer or supervisor to determine the next steps.

Learn about employer and worker responsibilities.

Appeal or review an OHS action

If OHS has issued you an order, suspension, cancellation, administrative penalty, ruling or disciplinary action, you can:

  1. request a review of an order or decision
  2. appeal an OHS action



電話: 780-415-8690 (愛民頓)
免費電話: 1-866-415-8690 
TTY: 780-427-9999 (愛民頓)
TTY: 1-800-232-7215