- Funding for the West Calgary Ring Road was announced on July 5, 2018. Once complete, the road will provide 101 km of free-flow traffic.
The West Calgary Ring Road, running between Highway 8 and the Trans-Canada Highway, is the final section of the Calgary Ring Road to be completed.
The road will be built on the existing Transportation Utility Corridor, established in 1976. The land is owned by the Government of Alberta. Some additional small parcels of land will be purchased.
The West Calgary Ring Road project will be completed in 3 parts — the north project (DB1), south project (DB2) and the West Bow River bridge (WBRB). It will include:
- building about 9 km of 6- and 8-lane divided freeway
- reconstructing about 5 km of the Trans-Canada Highway
- improving Stoney Trail from the Bow River to Scenic Acres
- 6 interchanges
- 24 bridges
On March 5, 2019, contracts were awarded for DB1 ($463 million) and WBRB ($89 million). Construction is underway.
Once complete, the entire Calgary Ring Road will provide more than 101 km of free-flow travel around the city. It will improve access to hospitals, schools, workplaces and recreation, and help reduce congestion within the city.
3 km of 6- and 8-lane divided freeway between Highway 1 (Trans-Canada Highway) and the Old Banff Coach Road.
- Reconstructing 5 km of Highway 1
- 18 bridges
- 2 interchanges
- 1 flyover – 1 Avenue SW
5 km of 6- and 8-lane divided freeway between Old Banff Coach Road and Highway 8.
- 7 bridges
- 4 interchanges
- Old Banff Coach Road SW
- Bow Trail SW
- 17 Avenue SW
- Highway 8
Bow River Bridge twinning
- Twinning the bridge over the Bow River on the northwest segment of the ring road
- Widening about 2 km of northwest Stoney Trail from Crowchild Trail to Scenic Areas Link
July 5, 2018
- Design and construction period announced. Project will be delivered in 3 separate segments: North, South and Bow River Bridge twinning.
July 6, 2018
- Request for Qualifications issued for the design and construction of the North project from Trans-Canada Highway to Old Banff Coach Road.
March 5, 2019
- DB1 and WBRB contracts awarded.
- Construction of DB1 and WBRB begins.
- Design and construction of DB2.
- West Calgary Ring Road opens to traffic, one year after the completion of the Southwest Calgary Ring Road, which is currently under construction.
Public information sessions
Alberta Transportation held two public information sessions in June 2019 to share design updates and construction information about the north segment and Bow River bridge twinning.
The materials from the information sessions are available at the links below:
- West Calgary Ring Road construction to start (March 5, 2019)
- Work to start on West Calgary Ring Road (July 5, 2018)
Sign up for email updates on the West Calgary Ring Road.
For more information on the West Calgary Ring Road:
Major Capital Projects
Twin Atria Building
2nd Floor, 4999 98 Avenue NW
Edmonton, Alberta T6B 2X3