The West Calgary Ring Road (WCRR) is the final section of the Calgary Ring Road to be completed. Running from Highway 8 to the Trans-Canada Highway, it will house 9 kms of 6 and 8 lane divided highway, 6 interchanges, and 24 bridges. This project includes twinning the bridge where Stoney Trail NW meets the Bow River to accommodate future traffic demand. Once completed, The Calgary Ring Road will provide over 100 kms of free-flow travel around the city, reduce congestion, and improve access to hospitals, schools, workplaces, and recreational amenities.
The West Calgary Ring Road will be completed in 3 unique sections: South Project, North Project, and Bow River Bridge Twinning. The north and south projects are being delivered in a design-build contract structure, which allows the contractor to design and build the project concurrently. This contract structure reduces delivery timelines and allows for more innovation during construction.
Contractor: Calgary SafeLink Partners
Section: Highway 8 to Old Banff Coach Road
- 5 km of 6 and 8-lane divided highway
- 7 bridges
- 4 interchanges
- Old Banff Coach Road SW
- Bow Trail SW
- 17 Avenue SW
- Highway 8
Section: Old Banff Coach Road to Trans-Canada
- 3 km of 6- and 8-lane divided highway
- Reconstructing 5 km of Highway 1
- 18 bridges
- 1 flyover – 1 Avenue SW
- 2 interchanges
- Trans-Canada Highway
- Valley Ridge Blvd
Bow River Bridge Twinning
Section: Bow River NW to Scenic Acres Link NW
- Bridge Twinning at Stoney Trail and Bow River NW
- Access to Scenic Acres Link / Tuscany Blvd from southbound Stoney Trail
- Widening ~2 kms of Stoney Trail and reconfiguration of the ramp from westbound Crowchild Trail to southbound Stoney Trail to align with overall roadworks plan
- North Project and Bow River Bridge Twinning begins
- South project construction begins
- Construction continues
- West Calgary Ring Road opens to traffic
Cyclist and pedestrian closures and detours
During construction, pathways, pathway access closures and detours will be in place and shared through onsite signage. Please plan ahead and visit the City of Calgary Parks - Pathway and Bikeways Map, or call 311.
For more information on the West Calgary Ring Road:
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.