West Calgary Ring Road
This project consists of the final 9 km of the Calgary Ring Road, located between Highway 8 and the Trans-Canada Highway.
The West Calgary Ring Road, between Highway 8 and the Trans-Canada Highway, is the final 9 km of the Calgary Ring Road.
Most of the road will be built on the existing Transportation Utility Corridor owned by the Government of Alberta. Some additional small parcels of land will be purchased.
The West Calgary Ring Road project will be completed in 3 parts — the north project, south project and twinning of the bridge over the Bow River. It will include:
- building about 9 km of 6- and 8-lane divided freeway
- reconstructing about 5 km of the Trans-Canada Highway
- widening Stoney Trail from the Bow River to Scenic Acres
- 6 interchanges
- 24 bridges
Once complete, the entire Calgary Ring Road will provide more than 101 km of free-flow travel around the city. It will improve access to hospitals, schools, workplaces and recreation, and help reduce congestion within the city.
3 km of 6- and 8-lane divided freeway between Highway 1 (Trans-Canada Highway) and the Old Banff Coach Road.
- Reconstructing 5 km of Highway 1
- 18 bridges
- 2 interchanges (Highway 1 and Valley Ridge Boulevard NW)
- 1 flyover (1 Avenue SW)
5 km of 6- and 8-lane divided freeway between Old Banff Coach Road and Highway 8.
- 7 bridges
- 4 interchanges
- Old Banff Coach Road SW
- Bow Trail SW
- 17 Avenue SW
- Highway 8
Bow River Bridge twinning
- Twinning the bridge over the Bow River on the northwest segment of the ring road.
- Widening about 2 km of northwest Stoney Trail from Crowchild Trail to Scenic Areas Link.
July 5, 2018
- Design and construction period announced. Project will be delivered in 3 separate segments: North, South and Bow River Bridge twinning.
July 6, 2018
- Request for Qualifications issued for the design and construction of the North project from Trans-Canada Highway to Old Banff Coach Road.
August 9, 2018
- Deadline to submit request for qualification responses for the North project.
- Top 3 respondents will be invited to participate in the Request for Proposals process.
- Construction of the North project is expected to begin in Spring 2019, once a successful proponent has been selected.
- Procurement for the second project is expected to begin.
- Design and construction of the South project and Bow River Bridge twinning.
- West Calgary Ring Road is expected to open to traffic, 1 year after the completion of the Southwest Calgary Ring Road currently under construction.
Public information sessions
Attend a public information session in September to learn more about the West Calgary Ring Road. Dates will be announced soon.
- Work to start on West Calgary Ring Road (July 5, 2018)
For more information on the West Calgary Ring Road:
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Major Capital Projects
Twin Atria Building
2nd Floor, 4999-98 Avenue NW
Edmonton, Alberta T6B 2X3