- Funding for the West Calgary Ring Road was announced on July 5, 2018. Once complete, the road will provide 101 km of free-flow traffic.
The West Calgary Ring Road, running between Highway 8 and the Trans-Canada Highway, is the final section of the Calgary Ring Road to be completed.
The road will be built on the existing Transportation Utility Corridor, established in 1976. The land is owned by the Government of Alberta. Some additional small parcels of land will be purchased.
The West Calgary Ring Road project will be completed in 3 parts — the north project (DB1), south project (DB2) and the West Bow River bridge (WBRB). It will include:
- building about 9 km of 6- and 8-lane divided freeway
- reconstructing about 5 km of the Trans-Canada Highway
- improving Stoney Trail from the Bow River to Scenic Acres
- 6 interchanges
- 24 bridges
On March 5, 2019, contracts were awarded for DB1 ($463 million) and WBRB ($89 million). Construction is underway.
Once complete, the entire Calgary Ring Road will provide more than 101 km of free-flow travel around the city. It will improve access to hospitals, schools, workplaces and recreation, and help reduce congestion within the city.
3 km of 6- and 8-lane divided freeway between Highway 1 (Trans-Canada Highway) and the Old Banff Coach Road.
- Reconstructing 5 km of Highway 1
- 18 bridges
- 2 interchanges
- 1 flyover – 1 Avenue SW
5 km of 6- and 8-lane divided freeway between Old Banff Coach Road and Highway 8.
- 7 bridges
- 4 interchanges
- Old Banff Coach Road SW
- Bow Trail SW
- 17 Avenue SW
- Highway 8
The Government of Alberta has selected three groups to submit proposals to develop the south section of the West Calgary Ring Road using a Design-Build delivery model. The submissions were evaluated based on several factors including experience, and past performance. The groups are consortia composed of construction and design companies.
- Calgary Safelink Partners
- EllisDon Construction Services Inc.
- PCL Construction Management Inc.
Bow River Bridge twinning
- Twinning the bridge over the Bow River on the northwest segment of the ring road
- Widening about 2 km of northwest Stoney Trail from Crowchild Trail to Scenic Areas Link
- The construction on the North West Stoney Trail corridor includes the addition of new collector/distributer roadway lanes between Crowchild Trail and Scenic Acres Link, and a bridge at Scenic Acres Link. This work is to accommodate southbound traffic entering Tuscany Boulevard or Scenic Acres Link and also includes minor reconfiguration of the westbound to southbound loop ramp at the Stoney Trail / Crowchild Trail interchange.
- Bow River Bridge Project Boundaries – Image 1
- Bow River Project Boundaries – Image 2
Tree removal for West Calgary Ring Road
- Tree impact assessment - Executive Summary (PDF, 7.6 MB)
- Tree removals south of Valley Ridge - Recommendations (PDF, 580 KB)
- Valley Ridge tree sketch (PDF, 3.9 MB)
July 5, 2018
- Design and construction period announced. Project will be delivered in 3 separate segments: North, South and Bow River Bridge twinning.
July 6, 2018
- Request for Qualifications issued for the design and construction of the North project from Trans-Canada Highway to Old Banff Coach Road.
March 5, 2019
- DB1 and WBRB contracts awarded.
- Construction of DB1 and WBRB begins.
- Design and construction of DB2.
- West Calgary Ring Road opens to traffic, one year after the completion of the Southwest Calgary Ring Road, which is currently under construction.
Public information sessions
Alberta Transportation held two public information sessions in June 2019 to share design updates and construction information about the north segment and Bow River bridge twinning.
The materials from the information sessions are available at the links below:
- West Calgary Ring Road construction to start (March 5, 2019)
- Work to start on West Calgary Ring Road (July 5, 2018)
- Tree Clearing for New Stormwater Pond – December 3, 2019 to December 9, 2019 (PDF, 435 KB)
- Valley Bridge Boulevard, removal of Valley Ridge median – September 24, 2019 to August 1, 2020 (PDF, 183 KB)
- Detour ramp opening from eastbound Trans-Canada Highway to northbound Stoney Trail – October 4, 2019 to Spring 2020 (PDF, 200 KB)
- Steel plate installation on-ramp: South-bound Stoney Trail to West-bound Trans-Canada Highway – October 7, 2019 (PDF, 180 KB)
- Temporary Closure: Northbound Valley Ridge Blvd NW slip ramp – October 25, 2019 (PDF, 185 KB)
- Right lane closure: Eastbound Trans-Canada Highway – October 29, 2019 (PDF, 349 KB)
- Westbound Trans-Canada Highway lane closures at Stoney Trail – November 1, 2019 (PDF, 91 KB)
- Bow River SW Pathway Closures (PDF, 623 KB)
- Trans-Canada Highway reduced to one lane at Stoney Trail – November 7, 2019 (PDF, 96 KB)
For more information on the West Calgary Ring Road:
Major Capital Projects
Twin Atria Building
2nd Floor, 4999 98 Avenue NW
Edmonton, Alberta T6B 2X3