Fluctuations in climate and weather conditions can have a huge impact on agriculture producers in Alberta. Up-to-date weather and climate data can help producers, farm consultants and researchers with long-term planning and decision-making throughout the growing season.
The following resources are available to help producers access timely information about Alberta’s weather and climate-related information.
Weather and climate
- An interactive tool that helps producers, farm consultants, and researchers to see Alberta weather forecasts, browse over 10,000 maps of Alberta weather and Alberta climate related information, and access near real time station data from over 350 meteorological stations operating in the province of Alberta. The maps and weather data describe Alberta's weather, climate and related agriculture features to help with your long-term planning and decision-making throughout the growing season.
- The Agricultural Moisture Situation Update is developed by the drought modelling team at Alberta Agriculture and Forestry and is published frequently as appropriate during the growing season and less frequently during winter months.
- This fact sheet provides information for estimating probable freezing dates for 114 locations in Alberta.
- Environment Canada’s weather map highlights current weather conditions around the country.
- Information and resources to help prepare and mitigate risks to crops, livestock and land during a drought.
- This software program helps irrigation producers with deciding their irrigation schedules as well as agronomic record keeping.
- This application provides up-to-date crop water use information for specific crops and the expected crop water use forecast for the next 5 days.
- Provides the irrigation industry in Alberta with up-to-date, heat units and provides crop water use information and a forecast for crop water requirements throughout the major irrigated areas of southern Alberta.
River conditions and advisories
Provides data and advisories on river basins throughout Alberta. This includes forecasts, ice observation, precipitation maps and water supply data.