Visitor Services Innovation Fund
Apply for funding if your non-profit organization is recognized as an official visitor services provider for your community or region.
Submissions for this grant are now closed. Deadline was February 7, 2018.
Successful Applicants will be notified in March 2018 and funds distributed to execute projects in time for the upcoming summer season.
Visitor Services Innovation Fund provides support to community-based visitor services providers across the province to enable the delivery of innovative and forward-thinking multi-channel visitor services.
Goals of the fund
- Support the development of innovative and relevant multi-channel visitor services.
- Ensure visitor services are available when, where and how visitors want them, and that these services respond to the needs of the visitor.
- Increase productivity and effectiveness of visitor services in the community, the region and the province.
- Foster a collaborative approach to visitor services to maximize the visitor experience across all channels.
Your organization can receive up to 75% of the project costs to a maximum of $7,000.
Initiatives involving two or more regional partners are eligible for 75% of the project costs to a maximum of $16,000.
You are responsible for securing the remaining 25% of the project costs.
All eligible applicants must:
- be a legal entity
- be a non-profit organization under Alberta’s Societies Act or Companies Act and have been in operation for at least two years
- demonstrate your organization is the official visitor service provider for a municipality or region
- demonstrate community, local government and industry support with letters of support and committee participation
- make a contribution of at least 25% of the total project cost (cannot include other Alberta government funding or in-kind contributions)
- Those with outstanding reporting or repayment obligations with another Government of Alberta grant.
Eligible projects and activities may include, but are not limited to:
- Mobile visitor services:
- purchase of a tent or kiosk
- signage for mobile centre
- uniforms for mobile visitor services staff
- brochure displays for mobile visitor services
- Information Kiosks that provide visitor information outside of the visitor information centre (VIC), which is accessible 24 hours
- Support staff:
- increased community presence
- street teams
- ambassador programs
- roaming counsellors - for activities outside of the existing VIC only and up to a maximum of $15/hr wage
- Staff support cannot exceed 60% of the total grant amount requested
- upgrading technology to improve visitor experience outside the VIC
- mobile friendly web enhancements
- purchase of iPads for use outside of the VIC and digital kiosks
- Community Engagement:
- community/regional product knowledge sessions
- organizing and hosting a tour of your community or region
- Social Media:
- fees related to social media training
- tracking tools
- analytics and dashboards
- fees for social media policy and procedure development
- fees related to the development of social media trip planning help pages
- Trip planning tools:
- route descriptions in other languages
- fees related to the development of trip planning tools on websites
- restroom accessibility enhancements and wheelchair ramps
- braille information services
Ineligible projects, activities and costs
Ineligible projects include
- projects unrelated to tourism industry or visitor services
- consumer-focused asset development, such as:
- written content
- video production
- landing pages
- consumer, travel trade and travel media shows
Ineligible activities include
- new brand or content development
- signage in the visitor centre, unless it is to improve accessibility
- online marketing initiatives
- promotional and retail items
- incentives such as prizes and contests
- print/online collateral unless it improves accessibility, such as:
- rack cards
- flat sheets
- market research
Ineligible costs include
- costs associated with developing and submitting applications
- non-visitor services website development and site hosting fees
- travel costs, such as gas and mileage
- operating/staffing costs to operate the existing VIC
- staffing costs over and above $15/hr wage
- expenses incurred prior to the signature of the grant agreement
- paid advertising
How to apply
Step 1. Read the guidelines
- Visitor Services Innovation Fund application package (PDF, 328 KB)
Step 2. Complete the application package
Include the following in your application package:
- cover letter from the organization to the Visitor Services Innovation Fund, Tourism Division, Alberta Culture and Tourism
- completed application form
- letter(s) of support from the community, local government
- letter from the municipality recognizing the organization as the official visitor services provider for the community
- not required if the organization is an accredited visitor services provider through the AVIP Accreditation and Signage Program
Step 3. Submit the application package
Electronic/Paper Applications must be submitted no later than 4:30 pm on February 7, 2018.
Submit it to:
Manager, Visitor Services
Destination Development and Visitor Services
Alberta Culture and Tourism
6th Floor, Commerce Place
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4L6
Subject: Visitor Services Innovation Fund Application
After you apply
We will review and evaluate all applications based on merit. General timelines for submission and selection is as follows:
- December 13, 2017 to February 7, 2018 Applications received from eligible organizations.
- Beginning mid February 2018, we will review applications and make funding recommendations for final approval.
- Early March 2018, you will be notified of funding decisions.
- Grant agreements will be signed.
- All decisions are final and appeals will not be considered.
A project may start once you sign the Grant Funding Agreement.
- All projects must begin by June 1, 2018 and be completed with all grant funds spent by December 31, 2018.
- You must submit progress report to Alberta Culture and Tourism no later than September 14, 2018.
- All successful applicants will be required to submit a final report upon completion of the project, including full accounting for the funds received as well as other reporting requirements as specified in the formal agreement.
To contact the Visitor Services: