Status: Survey open until February 24, 2020
Ministry responsible: Education
We’re seeking feedback on a draft ministerial order for a new vision for student learning. It’s a document that defines the values, foundations and outcomes for kindergarten to grade 12 education in Alberta. It emphasizes the essential knowledge and foundational skills students need to succeed beyond high school.
The draft ministerial order was created by an independent Curriculum Advisory Panel. The panel was established to inform improvements to the education system and recently provided recommendations on the direction for curriculum.
Once finalized, the ministerial order will replace the current version that’s been in place since 2013.
Review the draft ministerial order and provide your feedback by February 24, 2020.
- Draft Ministerial Order on Student Learning (PDF, 179 KB)
- Ébauche de l’arrête ministériel sur les résultats d’apprentissage des élèves (PDF, 44 KB)
Share your feedback on the draft ministerial order for student learning.
If you want to complete a hard copy of the survey, download it, fill it in, and submit it:
Submit the completed survey by February 24, 2020:
- Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail to:
Executive Director, Curriculum Coordination and Implementation
9 Floor, 10044 108 Street, 44 Capital Boulevard
Edmonton, AB T5J 5E6
Alberta Education staff are also holding in person engagement sessions in Edmonton and Calgary for parents and guardians to share their feedback. Register for a session below:
- February 18, 7-8:30 pm, Calgary - New location: Sandman Hotel, 8001 11th Street SE (FULL)
- February 19, 7-8:30 pm, Edmonton - Bonaventure Gate, 13156 St. Albert Trail NW
- February 19, 7-8:30 pm, Calgary - Polish Cultural Centre, 3015 15 Street NE
Virtual parent sessions
Parents and guardians are invited to register to attend a virtual engagement session:
We’re also meeting with key education partners and interest groups, including school boards, superintendents, various councils and associations.
Your input will help finalize a new ministerial order on student learning before the 2020-21 school year. It will replace the current version from 2013:
- Ministerial Order #001/2013: Student Learning
- Arrêté Ministériel Sur L’Apprentissage Des Élèves #001/2013
Your feedback will also be considered to help inform the next steps in updating the K-12 curriculum.
- Moving forward with modernizing student learning (January 29, 2020)