COVID-19 Updates: Taking steps to return to normal.
Protection and rights
- you should be treated with courtesy, compassion and respect
- your privacy should be considered and respected to the greatest extent possible
- all reasonable measures should be taken to minimize inconvenience to you
- your safety and security should be considered at all stages of the criminal justice process
- you should be protected from intimidation and retaliation by all means necessary
- you should be given information about the criminal justice system, your role and opportunities to participate in criminal justice processes
- you should be given information about the status of the investigation, the scheduling, progress and final outcome of the proceedings and the status of the offender in the correctional system
- you should be given information about available victim assistance services, including victim impact statements, requesting restitution, means of obtaining financial reparation and other programs
- you should promptly receive financial benefits for the injuries that you have suffered
- if charges are laid, you have the right to prepare and give the court a victim impact statement that tells how the crime affected you
- you have the right to ask to read your victim impact statement out loud in court, or ask someone else to read it for you
- you have the right to not be contacted by inmates
- your views, concerns and representation are an important consideration in criminal justice processes
- you should be given information about how to complain when you believe that these principles have not been followed
- your needs, concerns and diversity should be considered in the development and delivery of programs, education and training
Was this page helpful?
You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.