Educational credentials are certificates showing completion of high school or post-secondary education.
The International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) assesses international academic credentials and determines how they compare to standards in Alberta.
An IQAS assessment can be used to support your:
- application for employment
- admission to select post-secondary institutions
- licensure with select professional regulatory organizations
As an agency designated by the Government of Canada, IQAS also completes Educational Credential Assessments (ECA) for immigration purposes for both federal and provincial immigration streams.
Professional credentials are degrees, diplomas or certificates relating to specific occupations or trades.
You may need to meet additional Alberta regulatory requirements, even if your qualifications and experience have been recognized for admission to Canada.
In Canada, each province or territory has its own professional regulatory organizations responsible for many professions and trades. You may need to be licensed by a regulatory organization to legally work in your profession or trade.
Most professional and trade certifications from other parts of Canada are recognized in Alberta.
- Visit Apprenticeship and Industry Training to see if your credential is recognized in Alberta.
- Contact the professional or trade regulator for your occupation to apply to have your out-of-province license transferred to Alberta.
A Labour Mobility Coordinator can help if you have difficulty transferring your certification between provinces or territories.