The Alberta government has millions of objects that represent the province’s natural, cultural, scientific, social, technological and political history. We acquire, maintain, preserve and hold in trust these objects for Albertans.
There is now a process for certain items to be transferred to institutions that share the goal of exhibiting, interpreting and preserving historical objects.
Who can apply
Only publicly-accessible non-profit museums, historical societies or similar organizations may request an object. First priority is given to institutions in Alberta, and secondly in Canada. Private individuals and private agencies are ineligible to apply.
Objects available for transfer
Organizations interested in acquiring any of the listed objects must complete a Transfer Request Form and email it to the staff member indicated in the documents below. Specific questions about an object can also be directed to the same staff member.
The following objects are available for transfer. Please note that the photographs may not represent the current condition of the items.
- Horse-powered agricultural equipment (closing date January 2019) (PDF, 3.7 MB)
- Horse-powered agricultural equipment (closing date February 2019) (PDF, 1.4 MB)
Transfer request form
Transfer request form (PDF, 170 KB)
The vast majority of objects remain permanently in collections, however, there are exceptional circumstances when an item may be removed or deaccessioned from a collection.
An object may be removed from the collection if it is:
- not aligned with government mandate, goals or collecting priorities
- not significant or of lesser quality than a similar object in the collection
- incomplete, damaged or deteriorated beyond any useful purpose
- a copy, forgery, fake or incorrectly or improperly documented
- duplicate or over-represented item
- hazardous to people or other objects
- unable to be properly cared for
To connect with the Heritage Division:
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Toll free: 310-0000 followed by the number (in Alberta)
8820 112 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2P8