The purpose of traffic signs is to inform drivers of traffic regulations, warn of road characteristics or hazards, and provide information necessary for route selection.
Regulatory signs (Class R)
Regulatory signs indicate a traffic regulation that applies at a specific time or place on a road.
- RA: Right-of-way control signs indicate the right-of-way for drivers on the approaches to an intersection, or for pedestrians at a crosswalk.
- RB: Road use control signs indicate the permitted or prohibited use of a road. This sub-class includes signs relating to the control of speed, turns, direction of travel, passing, traffic lane use, vehicle weights and dimensions, parking, pedestrians and other road users.
- RC: Miscellaneous regulatory signs indicate regulations that are not otherwise provided for in Class R.
Warning signs (Class W)
Warning signs provide an advance indication of conditions on or adjacent to a road that are potentially hazardous to drivers.
- WA: Physical conditions signs indicate features or conditions of the road itself.
- WB: Traffic regulations ahead signs provide an advance warning of a traffic regulation on a road.
- WC: Intermittent or moving hazard signs indicate the possibility of a situation that may require a driver response.
- WD: Used to regulate, warn and guide drivers in work zones where construction, maintenance or utility activities or other temporary or unusual conditions are on or adjacent to the road.
Guide and information signs (Class I)
Guide and information signs indicate information for route selection, locating off-road facilities, or identifying geographical features or points of interest.
- IA: Destination guide signs provide destination, direction, distance and location information for drivers.
- IB: Route marker signs indicate numbers, names or other designations of roads.
- IC: Off-road services signs indicate the availability of, and direction to, off-road services or recreational facilities.
- ID: Miscellaneous information signs indicate information that is not otherwise provided for in Class I.
- IF: Highway guide signs provide information and guidance on highways.