Tourism industry events and training
Keep up-to-date with industry seminars and conferences to help you learn about new tourism programs and to network with peers.
Tourism Entrepreneurship Startup Seminar
This seminar is designed to assist start-up tourism entrepreneurs and businesses learn more about starting a tourism business.
Visit Tourism Entrepreneurship Programs for full details.
Spring Training and Showcase
When: May 8 to 9, 2018
Who: visitor information providers and tourism industry exhibitors
- no registration fees to participate either as a delegate or exhibitor
Where: Delta Edmonton South Hotel and Conference Centre
Visitor Information Providers registration form (PDF, 200 KB) - registration deadline March 30, 2018
Tourism industry exhibitors (PDF, 353 KB) - registration deadline February 27, 2018
What to expect
This annual tourism summit hosted by the ministry prepares local and provincial Visitor Information Centre (VICs) staff for the upcoming season with accredited customer service training and enhancing local product knowledge through an industry tradeshow.
The 2018 theme, “Crafting Remarkable Experiences,” emphasizes the importance of connecting with the visitor to create lifelong memories of their time in Alberta.
One of the main aims of this two-day conference is to increase local tourism product awareness for frontline staff by staging two, three-hour tradeshow segments to provide a more complete picture of the opportunities available for visitors.
- Be provided with a two-day, energetic customer service training session to discover the latest techniques and trends in visitor servicing.
- Learn to provide dependable, accessible and personalized trip planning advice and information by effectively engaging and responding to visitor needs.
- Be acquainted with the latest online tools and other resources to expand product knowledge of attractions, activities, events, experiences and destinations in Alberta.
- Strengthen working relationships by connecting with industry colleagues.
- Maintain Visitor Information Centre accredited status.
- No registration fee to occupy one of the exhibitor spots available over two days which are assigned by the organizers on a regional basis.
- Application to be an exhibitor (PDF, 353 KB) must be made to the ministry.
- Exhibitor spots include a 2.4-metre X 2.4-metre (8’x8’) Wi-Fi enabled curtained booth equipped with a 1,500 watt electrical outlet along with a draped 1.8-metre (6-foot) display table and 3 chairs (optional).
- Participation provides valuable opportunities to raise the profile of your tourism attraction, destination or experience by networking with about 170 conference delegates from 60 Alberta communities – 10 provincial VICs at key entry points, and 50 accredited community / regional VICs.
When: various springtime dates between May to July
Who: frontline visitor information providers
Where: Lethbridge, Calgary, northern Alberta and central Alberta
Contact Spring.email@example.com to register.
What to expect
Regional training sessions prepare visitor information providers with accredited coaching between May to July to:
- develop and improve customer service skills
- improve product knowledge
- use relevant tourism guides, maps and web pages
Travel Alberta – Industry conference
Details for the next conference can be found on the Travel Alberta events page
Growing Rural Tourism Conference
Details for the next conference can be found on the Growing Rural Tourism Conference page
To contact the Tourism and Recreation Division:
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Toll free: dial 310-0000 before the number (in Alberta)