COVID-19 Updates: State of public health emergency declared.
PDF form issues
Fillable PDF forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save the form:
- Save the PDF form to your computer – click or right-click the link and download the form.
- Open the PDF form with Adobe Reader. Fill it in and save it.
Right of entry
Section: Surface right of entry
- Schedule 1 Application for Right of Entry (PDF, 2.2 MB)
- Schedule 2 Notice to Respondents (PDF, 442 KB)
- Schedule 3 Letter of Consent to Right of Entry Order (PDF, 319 MB) (A separate Letter of Consent is required for each Respondent consenting)
- Declaration of Service (PDF, 160 KB)
- Declaration of Most Recent Written Offer (PDF, 917 KB)
- Declaration in Support of Survey Plan (PDF, 320 KB)
- Compensation Order Request (PDF, 1.4 MB)
- Notice of Assignment of Order (PDF, 1.5 MB)
- Statutory Declaration to Amend Operator Information (PDF, 411 KB)
- Request to Amend and/or Vary a Tribunal Order (PDF, 1.5 MB)
- Request to Terminate (PDF, 1.5 MB)
- Payment to Tribunal (PDF, 1.4 MB)
Section: Apply for surface rights compensation review
- Rate of Compensation Review (PDF, 2.3 MB)
Section: Apply for surface rights damages
- Request for Loss or Damages (PDF, 1.5 MB)
Recovery of Compensation
- Recovery of Compensation – New Application (PDF, 2.2 MB)
- Recovery of Compensation – Returning Application (PDF, 2.7 MB)
- Request to Amend – Recovery of Compensation Application (PDF, 136 KB)
Request for reconsideration
- Request for Review of Decision or Order (PDF, 1.5 MB)
- Appointment of Personal Representative (PDF, 72 KB)
- E-Mail Communication Informed Consent (PDF, 976 KB)
- Surface Rights Act, RSA 2000
- Surface Rights Act General Regulation
- Drainage Districts Act (s.34)
- Environmental Protection & Enhancement Act (s.134)
- Expropriation Act (s.27)
- Pipeline Act (s.28)
- Railway (Alberta) Act (s.22, s.29(1), s.30)
- Wilderness Area, Ecological Reserves, Natural Areas & Heritage Rangelands Act (s.12)
- Public Lands Act (s.9)
- Oil & Gas Conservation Act (s.19, s.101)
- Gas Distribution Act (s.12)
- Municipal Government Act (s.32)
- Administrative Procedures and Jurisdiction Act
Guidelines – Surface rights proceedings
Guidelines connote general statements of principles of the Tribunal. These principles are non-binding statements intended to inform and guide those subject to actions under the relevant legislation.
Guidelines of this nature do not require specific statutory authority. They are intended to provide guidance to the public and to the Tribunal on surface rights matters.
The Tribunal intends to review all guidelines annually (or sooner if required). Comments regarding the guidelines are invited and will be taken into consideration.
- Interpretation of "Notice" Under Section 27(4) and Section 27 (14)
- Guidelines for Consultation and Legislation
- Report Testimony Guideline
- Mailing Guidelines
- Operator Notice Guideline ABSRB 2020.1 (PDF, 144 KB)
Surface Rights Rules
The Surface Rights Rules was amended in November 2020 to create a more efficient and straightforward process for parties.
Connect with the Land and Property Rights Tribunal:
Land and Property Rights Tribunal
2nd Floor, Summerside Business Centre
1229 91 Street SW
Edmonton, Alberta T6X 1E9
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.