Status: An Act to Support Gay-Straight Alliances received Royal Assent December 15, 2017
Ministry responsible: Education
Every student deserves a welcoming, caring and safe place to learn.
An Act to Support Gay-Straight Alliances has been passed to strengthen supports for students wishing to create or join gay-straight alliances (GSAs) or queer-straight alliances (QSAs) at their schools.
It will clarify school authority roles and responsibilities around GSAs and QSAs.
An Act to Support Gay-Straight Alliances will amend the School Act to:
- require all publicly funded schools to create welcoming, caring and respectful policies and make them publicly available
- strengthen Minister of Education’s ability to ensure every school complies with the law
- protect the privacy of students that join a GSA or QSA
- protect the establishment of GSAs from political interference
- ensure principals help students create a GSA or QSA in a timely manner
The amendments will come into force April 1, 2018.
School authorities will have until June 30, 2018 to make their safe and caring policies publicly available.
New legislation to support gay-straight alliances (November 2, 2017)