Supporting Gay-Straight Alliances
Bill 24 has been passed to support students who create or join gay-straight alliances or queer-straight alliances at their schools.
Status: Bill 24 passed Nov 15, 2017
Ministry responsible: Education
Every student deserves a welcoming, caring and safe place to learn.
Bill 24: An Act to Support Gay-Straight Alliances has been passed to strengthen supports for students wishing to create or join gay-straight alliances (GSAs) or queer-straight alliances (QSAs) at their schools.
It will clarify school authority roles and responsibilities around GSAs and QSAs.
Bill 24 will amend the School Act to:
- require all publicly funded schools to create welcoming, caring and respectful policies and make them publicly available
- strengthen Minister of Education’s ability to ensure every school complies with the law
- protect the privacy of students that join a GSA or QSA
- protect the establishment of GSAs from political interference
- ensure principals help students create a GSA or QSA in a timely manner
The amendments will come into force April 1, 2018.
School authorities will have until June 30, 2018 to make their safe and caring policies publicly available.
New legislation to support gay-straight alliances (Nov 2, 2017)