If you are looking for Social services, see Subsidiary 6 – Social services.
Evaluators need to understand why the job exists, determine the focus of the work and have a sound understanding of the job responsibilities, then assess it against the:
- stream definitions for each Subsidiary work group by considering the stream descriptor in its entirety rather than isolated phrases
- guide charts
- benchmark jobs developed for each Subsidiary and Stream, which identify the number of levels and characterize the difference between the work in each level in a Stream
In some cases, it may be necessary to assess the work by using the guide charts and benchmarks for the management plan.
The following questions can be used as a guide:
- Which Subsidiary and Stream do the job responsibilities fall within?
- What is the rating?
- Which benchmark job aligns with the kind and level of work?
- Where appropriate, do the job responsibilities compare to the Management Job Evaluation Plan and the benchmarks?
Work currently performed within the Medical and Rehabilitative component of the Government of Alberta has been evaluated using a point rating system. Determine the focus of the job: why does the job exist? Once you have clarified the job's purpose, determine whether the job belongs in this Subsidiary and, if so, in which Stream. Three groupings have been recognized in the Medical and Rehabilitative component of the Alberta Public Service. These are:
Licensed Practical Nurse
This work provides licensed practical nursing services within a defined scope of practice to carry out patient care focusing on promotion of wellness, maintenance of health and prevention of illness. The work typically includes monitoring physical and mental health conditions, recording patients' progress, taking vital signs, communicating health findings in collaboration with the physician and other regulated health care professionals, and administering treatment and medications in accordance with the physician's and other regulated health care professionals' orders.
- Benchmark listing – Licensed Practical Nurse (PDF, 95 KB)
- Minimum Recruitment Standards – Licensed Practical Nurse (PDF, 16 KB)
Medical and Health
The work is primarily involved in the area of health services. The work involves applying specific clinical knowledge to maintain or improve quality of life, investigating sudden deaths or improving the delivery of health services and programs for Albertans. Work in this Stream involves delivery of medical or paramedical interventions in corrections and facilities for individuals with disabilities or special needs, conducting medical examiner investigations, dispensing pharmaceuticals, or developing health policy requiring the application of theory and applied knowledge and consulting with stakeholders in the health system.
- Benchmark listing – Medical and Health (PDF, 240 KB)
- Minimum Recruitment Standards – Medical and Health (PDF, 30 KB)
The primary focus of the work is to assist medical professionals with the provision of medicinal supports in dentistry and pharmacy to individuals with disabilities. The work typically involves: assessment, observation, recording, and preparing and dispensing medications.
This professional level work is primarily involved in assisting individuals with disabilities or special needs to enhance their quality of life or improving rehabilitative programs through consultation. Work in this Stream involves developing and leading the implementation of specialized rehabilitative plans for individuals through meaningful activities and therapeutic interventions in a variety of daily living situations or consulting with other professionals in the rehabilitative field.
- Licensed Practical Nurse (PDF, 95 KB)
- Medical and Health (PDF, 240 KB)
- Medical Support (PDF, 112 KB)
- Rehabilitation (PDF, 314 KB)
Classes and point bands
Table 1. Subsidiary 6 classes and point bands
|Class number||Class title||Minimum||Maximum|
|Classes listed on 'Schedule A-1' for Subsidiary 6|
|061LP||Licensed Practical Nurse||233||233|
|063MH||Medical and Health 1||269||313|
|064MH||Medical and Health 2||314||370|
|065MH||Medical and Health 3||371||438|
|066MH||Medical and Health 4||439||518|
|061MS||Medical Support 1||192||227|
Was this page helpful?
You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.