The Strategic Research and Development Grant Program funds basic and applied research initiatives that complement Agriculture and Forestry’s business plan and priorities.
It funds innovative, progressive approaches to:
- Enhancing productivity and efficiency
- Improving competitiveness
- Targeting differentiated products and new value-added products
- Sustainable production to promote responsible use of resources and improve animal welfare, or animal or crop health
- Addressing consumer demand and social license within Alberta’s livestock or crop industry
The projects will address key needs and gaps in research that align with three focus areas:
- Economic Development and Competitiveness
- Environmental Stewardship
- Assurance and Public Safety
How to Apply
Submit letters of intent (LOIs) and full proposals online.
The program is competitive and merit-based. Applications are thoroughly reviewed internally, by external peer review, and by an external technical review committee.
LOIs and proposals submitted through the Agriculture Funding Consortium do not need to be resubmitted.
Current Calls for Proposals
General Strategic Research and Development Grant Program Call for Proposals
Needs updated timelines
The Environmental Stewardship call targets science and research activities related to the development and assessment of practices that improve agriculture’s management of the following:
- GHG emission reduction and air quality enhancement
- Climate change and adaptation
- Enhancing water quality, management, availability and water use efficiency
- Maintaining and enhancing soil health and quality, while minimizing soil erosion
- Maintaining and improving biodiversity
Assurance and Public Safety
The Assurance and Public Safety call targets science and research activities targeting the development and assessment of practices that improve agriculture’s management of the following:
- Enhancing plant and animal health
- Enhancing food safety
- Improving responsible animal care and welfare
- Mitigating antimicrobial resistance in agriculture
- Containing and reducing established pests and preventing new pests
Partnered Calls for Proposals
Agriculture Funding Consortium
The Agriculture Funding Consortium is an ongoing annual call for proposals. Find out more about current calls at its site.
Genome Alberta and A3GP
Genome Alberta and Alberta Agriculture and Forestry have partnered for the the Alberta Applied Agricultural Genomics Program (A3GP). Find out more at Genome Alberta’s site.
2017-2018 SRDP Open Call for Proposals
Received 67 letters of intent (LOIs) and put forward 22 full proposals.
2018-19 AFC Open Call for Proposals
Received 170 letters of intent (LOIs) LOIs requesting $44.5 million total
Received 71 full proposals requesting $22.7 million for a total of $44.5 million in research and development proposals
Average request per project: $320,050
2017-2018 AFC Open Call for Proposals
Received 182 letters of intent (LOIs) LOIs requesting $47.1 million.
Requested 100 full proposals, asking for $24.8 million in support for a total value of $51 million in research and development proposals
Average request per project: $251,000.
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.