Keeping Alberta Affordable: Eligible seniors and families with children under 18 can apply for $600 affordability payments. Learn more and apply now
Trade unions, like any organization subject to Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA), can collect, use and disclose someone’s personal information for a reasonable purpose, to the extent needed for that purpose.
Consent from the individual is required unless otherwise authorized under PIPA.
Trade unions can collect, use and disclose someone’s personal information without consent when it relates to a matter under a labour relations dispute, and the purpose is to inform or persuade the public about a matter of significant public interest or importance relating to the dispute if:
- the collection, use and disclosure is reasonably necessary for that purpose, and
- it is reasonable to collect, use and disclose the information without consent for that purpose, considering all relevant circumstances including the nature and sensitivity of information
Disclosure of personal employee information
PIPA will also let an organization disclose someone’s personal information without that person’s consent in the following circumstances:
- it is by a trade union relating to a labour relations dispute
- the disclosure is for the purpose of informing or persuading the public about a matter of significant interest or importance relating to a labour relations dispute involving the trade union,
- the disclosure is reasonably necessary for that purpose, and
- it is reasonable to disclose without consent considering all relevant circumstances including the nature and sensitivity of the information
Connect with the FOIP/PIPA help desk to ask questions about the collection, use disclosure and privacy of information within Alberta.
Was this page helpful?
You will NOT receive a reply on your feedback. Do NOT include personal information. To get answers to questions, use Alberta Connects.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.