Drama. In Nova Scotia, an arthritic housekeeper (Sally Hawkins) sells paintings out of the small one room house she lives in with her husband (Ethan Hawke).
- Portrayal of hand-to-hand violence in a domestic context – no blood, little detail
- Infrequent portrayals of sexually suggestive scenes – no nudity, little detail
- Pervasive portrayals of tobacco use in a historical context
- Companionship and dependency
- The life of an artist
- Disability and independence
Rated PG for some sexually suggestive scenes, smoking, and some mature subject matter