Science and innovation are at the centre of Alberta’s long term economic plan. They play a fundamental role in diversifying and strengthening the province’s economy and improving our environmental performance. Through science and innovation, Alberta has gained numerous benefits, including:
- protecting the environment and growing the economy by developing and implementing climate change technology
- supporting thousands of new jobs through creating and commercializing technological advances, such as the investment in oil sands development
- developing up-to-date health care services resulting from Alberta’s health research facilities
The Government of Alberta is leading the strategic direction of our research and innovation system. This will create conditions that encourage basic scientific and applied research, innovation and commercialization, and will create jobs, sustainable growth and competitive economic sectors.
Alberta’s publicly-funded research and innovation system is focused on the province’s priority economic sectors, and building on existing competitive advantages, including:
Reports and strategies
Alberta Innovates was created by the Government of Alberta to enable a stronger, more responsive research and innovation system in the province. Alberta Innovates is designed to make it easier for Alberta’s researchers and businesses to navigate the province’s innovation system, driving excellence in research and turning innovative ideas into reality.
With the connections, flexibility, accountability and focus it brings, Alberta Innovates drives the research and innovation that supports Albertans and the rest of the world.
Resources for Alberta researchers and entrepreneurs
The government is committed to ensuring Alberta remains viable and attractive for investment in the global knowledge-based economy. This includes providing support for researchers, entrepreneurs and businesses looking to drive research and innovation. The support we provide includes:
- Connectica – a free online service that connects researchers and innovators to funding, programs, services and more.
- Business Link – a non-profit organization that helps Alberta entrepreneurs start their own businesses.
- Alberta Innovates – an agency which works with researchers, companies and partner organisations to find and drive the research and innovations that will grow Alberta’s economy.
- AlbertaIN – a community driven, community owned directory tool to help Alberta's innovators and entrepreneurs quickly identify the most suitable service provider to meet their business needs.
- Alberta Small Business Resources – a directory of business resources for new and established entrepreneurs.
- Ag-Info Centre – the centre provides a way for members of Alberta's agriculture industry to access specialists, information and services within Alberta Agriculture and Forestry.
- Research Capacity Program – a government initiative that supports science and research initiatives of strategic importance to Alberta by investing in equipment and research infrastructure that put Alberta research teams at the forefront of their fields.
Alberta has a long history of hard work ethic and research and innovation focused on solutions. Alberta is where diabetes research took a giant leap forward and where internationally recognized products like the SMART Board, Quick-Tax and Cold-fX were developed.
Between 2011 and 2015, Alberta Innovates provided $20 million in project funding to 157 technology-based small and medium businesses in Alberta. 400 sustainable jobs were created out of this $20 million investment, with more than 81% outside the energy sector; the majority of these companies continue commercializing new products.
We have also leveraged our innovation investments and created new opportunities for Alberta’s SMEs through technology partnerships with international jurisdictions and multinational enterprises.