EMERGENCY: Alberta has declared a Public Health Emergency to protect the health care system from COVID-19. Indoor social gatherings are the top source of transmission. All indoor social gatherings have now been banned. This ban will be enforced with $1,000 fines. Learn more
School buses are operated at 90 km/h or less.
Students using a school bus can be at risk when getting on or off the bus.
When school bus lights are flashing
On an undivided highway (not divided by a median), do the following:
- When you approach a school bus from either direction (from the front or the rear), and it has the alternating amber lights flashing, you must be ready to stop. This is a warning that the alternating red lights are going to begin flashing and the school bus is stopping to allow students to get on or off.
- If you pass a school bus that has its alternating amber lights flashing, pass with caution.
- When the school bus stops to let students on or off, its alternating red lights will begin flashing. You will also see a stop sign extended from the left side of the school bus. You must come to a full stop about 20 metres (about 4 to 5 car lengths) away from the school bus. This distance allows drivers of other vehicles behind you to see the flashing lights and students crossing the highway.
- You must remain stopped until the alternating flashing red lights are turned off and the stop sign on the driver's side is no longer extended.
On a 2-lane undivided highway, both lanes must stop for a school bus.
On a highway divided by a median, do the following:
- When you approach a school bus from the rear and its alternating amber lights are flashing, follow the same procedures as you would for a highway that is not divided by a median.
- When you approach a school bus from the front and the school bus has its alternating amber or red lights flashing, you may proceed with caution. Watch for pedestrians. Remember, this is only on a divided highway.
These rules apply whenever and wherever the school bus lights are activated. Some municipalities have rules for school bus operation specific to their region.
On a 4 lane undivided highway, all 4 lanes must stop for a school bus.
On a highway divided by a median, vehicles to the rear of the school bus must stop.