Rural Issues: Who Should I Contact

Alberta Energy

  • leasing of Crown minerals
  • royalties
  • legislative and policy management
  • freehold mineral taxation

Edmonton: 780-427-8050
Calgary: 403-297-8955

Alberta Energy Regulator (AER)

  • provincial regulator for oil, gas and pipelines
  • landowner statements of concern
  • notification
  • suspension and abandonment
  • reclamation and remediation
  • compliance issues
  • incident reporting
  • water licences
  • permits for seismic/geophysical
  • liability management

Phone: 1-855-297-8311
24 Hour Emergency: 1-800-222-6514
Email: [email protected]

Alberta Environment and Parks

  • environmental standards for renewable energy
  • reclamation requirements for renewable energy
  • Water Act complaints

General Information: 310-3773
24 Hour Emergency Hotline: 1-800-222-6514
Email: [email protected]

Alberta Labour and Immigration

  • land agents licensing
  • land agents code of conduct and complaints

Phone: 780-415-4600

Alberta Utilities Commission (AUC)

  • regulates terms and conditions for utilities and transmission development
  • stakeholder
  • engagement for utilities developments
  • renewables
  • consumer complaints
  • legislative compliance

Phone: 403-592-UTIL (8845) or 780-427-4903 Customer Relations
Email: [email protected]

Farmers’ Advocate Office

  • advisory and resource agency for landowners
  • information on legislation and policy relating to
  • energy, utilities, and renewable energy
  • negotiating surface leases and right of way agreements
  • mediation and dispute resolution
  • understanding processes for rural concerns
  • farm implement
  • warranty issues
  • nuisance complaints under the Agricultural Operation Practices Act
  • Water Well
  • Replacement or Restoration Program (WWRRP)

Phone: 310-FARM (3276)
Email: [email protected]

Federation of Gas Co-ops

  • location of utilities map
  • dispute resolution within co-ops
  • rates
  • governance of a gas co-op

Phone: 780-416-6543
Email: [email protected]

Federation of Rural Electrification Associations (AFREA)

  • dispute resolution within rural electrification associations
  • rates
  • governance of an REA

Phone: 780-417-3396
Freehold Owners’ Association (FHOA)

  • advisory agency for mineral owners negotiating agreements

Phone: 403-245-4438
Local County

  • weed issues
  • transportation and road use issues
  • dust concerns

National Energy Board (NEB)

  • regulates inter-provincial pipelines and transmission lines under federal jurisdiction

Phone: 1-800-899-1265 or 403-292-5503

Ombudsman of Alberta

  • review of alleged unfair treatment by provincial authorities and, as of April 2018, municipalities

Phone: 780-427-2756
Email: [email protected]

Orphan Well Association (OWA)

  • abandonment and reclamation of upstream wells, pipelines, facilities and associated sites for which there is no responsible party

Phone: 403-297-6416

Property Rights Advocate

  • property rights information
  • annual report to legislature with recommendations on property rights

Phone: 780-638-3265
Email: [email protected]

Surface Rights Board (SRB)

  • rights of entry
  • disputes on compensation
  • anniversary rental reviews
  • off right-of-way damages
  • unpaid annual rentals

Phone: 780-427-2444
Email: [email protected]

Utilities Consumer Advocate (UCA)

  • concerns about utility bills and rates
  • advice on natural gas and electricity
  • advocating for consumer
  • interests

Phone: 310-4UCA (4822)
Email: [email protected]

Download this document in PDF (PDF, 210 KB)

Was this page helpful?

All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.

You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.