The Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service (RTDRS) offers landlords and tenants a method of resolving disputes under the jurisdiction of the Residential Tenancies Act and the Mobile Home Sites Tenancies Act without going to court.
Landlords and tenants can submit applications online using the RTDRS eFiling Service.
- RTDRS conducts all hearings by phone
Applications must be made within 2 years from the date that a potential claim is discovered. Applications are limited to claims of up to $50,000.
The following can apply for RTDRS:
- a landlord or a representative authorized by the landlord
- a tenant or a representative authorized by the tenant
Section numbers in tip sheet are subject to change. Current as of April, 2017.
What you can apply for
Landlords of a rental premises or mobile home site can apply for:
- unpaid rent and/or utilities
- ending the tenancy and possession of the premises
- financial damages from a tenant’s rental agreement breach
- compensation for losses due to an over-holding tenant (tenant has not vacated the premises at the end of the tenancy)
- order for a non-tenant occupant to vacate the premises (individual is not listed as a tenant on the rental agreement)
Tenants of a rental premises or a mobile home site may apply for:
- return of security deposit
- ending the tenancy due to a landlord’s breach of the rental agreement
- financial damages from a landlord’s rental agreement breach
- reduction of rent for loss of benefit of a rental agreement
- compensation for performing the landlord’s obligations as outlined in the rental agreement
Was this page helpful?
You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.