COVID-19 response

RTDRS offices are temporarily closed to the public.

RTDRS is conducting all hearings by phone. Parties to a previously scheduled in-person hearing will be contacted about the change. Parties wishing to proactively provide their phone number for an upcoming hearing are asked to phone 403-297-8550 and leave a message with their name, case number and phone number.

RTDRS continues to accept applications through the online eFiling service. Email or phone 310-0000, then dial 780-644-3000, for information pertaining to the RTDRS.

Applications for possession or termination of the tenancy agreement will be given priority in the RTDRS hearing schedule. Non-urgent applications, such as for damages or return of the security deposit, are being received, but there may be a delay in scheduling while COVID-19 is being managed.

For more information, visit COVID-19 info for Albertans.

Acceptable applications

Applications must be made within 2 years from the date that a potential claim is discovered. Applications are limited to claims of up to $50,000.

The rental premises and the claims in the application must be covered by the Residential Tenancies Act or the Mobile Home Sites Tenancies Act (MHSTA).

MHSTA disputes

As of June 1, the RTDRS began accepting applications from mobile home site tenants and landlords for urgent issues related to:

  • site possession
  • termination of tenancy

Non-urgent mobile home site dispute applications, such as those related to damages and return of security deposits, will be received beginning in fall 2020.


The following can apply for RTDRS:

  • a landlord or a representative authorized by the landlord
  • a tenant or a representative authorized by the tenant

The definitions of landlord and tenant can be found in the Residential Tenancies Act or the Mobile Home Sites Tenancies Act.

See RTA Applicability to Accommodations (PDF, 486 KB) to see which types of housing are governed under the Residential Tenancies Act.

Section numbers in tip sheet are subject to change. Current as of April, 2017.

What you can apply for

Landlords can apply for:

  • unpaid rent and/or utilities
  • ending the tenancy and possession of the premises
  • financial damages from a tenant’s rental agreement breach (for applications under the Residential Tenancies Act only)
  • compensation for losses due to an over-holding tenant (tenant has not vacated the premises at the end of the tenancy)
  • order for a non-tenant occupant to vacate the premises (individual is not listed as a tenant on the rental agreement)

Tenants may apply for:

  • return of security deposit (for applications under the Residential Tenancies Act only)
  • ending the tenancy due to a landlord’s breach of the rental agreement
  • financial damages from a landlord’s rental agreement breach (for applications under the Residential Tenancies Act only)
  • reduction of rent for loss of benefit of a rental agreement
  • compensation for performing the landlord’s obligations as outlined in the rental agreement


Connect with RTDRS:

Phone: 780-644-3000
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Fax: 780-644-2266

View all contact options