Municipal road closure requests – Titled land

Municipal roads through or adjacent to titled land may be closed under the Municipal Government Act if it is determined by Alberta Transportation that the road is not required as part of the provincial transportation system and does not affect legal access to any properties.

The following councils may propose road closures to Alberta Transportation:

  • municipal
  • county
  • town
  • village

A landowner interested in requesting a road closure must contact their town, village, municipal or county office to make a request to initiate the closure process.

Municipal road closure proposals are prepared as:

  • municipal bylaw (may be used to close any type of municipal road)
  • municipal resolution (may be used to close registered road plans that are excepted from an adjacent land title – these are most commonly road diversions registered when they were unable to construct the road following the statutory road allowance adjacent to the land)

For more information on municipal road closures, contact your local Development and Planning Technologist: Alberta Transportation Region and District Offices (PDF, 2.3 MB).

Road closure requests – Crown land

Roads through or adjacent to Alberta Crown land are closed under the Highways Development and Protection Act if the road is not required as part of the provincial transportation system.

A request to close a road through Crown land may be submitted to Alberta Transportation by:

  • Alberta Environment and Parks
  • Alberta Infrastructure
  • other Alberta ministries
  • Government of Canada

Preparing a road closure proposal

There are 3 types of closure documents used to close Alberta roads:

  • Road Closure Bylaw, Section 22 Municipal Government Act
  • Road Closure Resolution, Section 24 Municipal Government Act
  • Road Closure by Ministerial Order, Section 38(1), 38.1 (Highways Development and Protection Act)


Municipal road closures

Crown road closures


For more information about highway development and permits:

Was this page helpful?

All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.

You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.