Before you request
The distribution of Provincial Geospatial Centre information is provided as a service to the user and the information is copyrighted to the Government of Alberta.
Redistribution of Provincial Geospatial Centre information in whole or in part, whether alone or as part of a value added product, is not permitted without the prior written consent of the Provincial Geospatial Centre on behalf of the Minister of Environment and Parks, Government of Alberta.
In view of the dated nature of the data, it is the responsibility of the user of the data:
- To confirm with the Provincial Geospatial Centre whether later versions are available before making use of the data.
- If the minister permits the user to provide the data to other users, to advise users of the age and status of the data.
All digital data product deliveries are subject to the conditions outlined in the Provincial Geospatial Centre End-user License Agreement for Digital Data.
View sample License Agreement for Digital Data (PDF, 21 KB).
Check if the information is on GeoDiscover
A large portion of geospatial content is now in the GeoDiscover Alberta portal. Use keywords in the Data Search tab to search for your data. For more details about the datasets you find in the portal, select a record and review the complete geospatial metadata provided. Records are available in 2 metadata formats in the portal. To learn more about the ordering instructions for a dataset, click the 'Distribution Information' link at the top of the record or search 'Ordering Instructions'.
Content that were other maps or websites are now available under the Resources tab from the 'More Content' link.
The user agrees that:
- the information and each part thereof
- any formatting or presentation thereof
- any storage media on which it is provided and any communication of any kind, incidental or in relation thereto, is provided to the user by the minister and the Crown without warranty or representation as to any matter including but not limited to:
- whether the information and storage media is correct, accurate or free from error, defect, danger or hazard
- whether it is otherwise useful or suitable for any use the user may make of it
The Crown in right of Alberta, the minister and their employees and agents, shall not be liable for any claims, costs, losses or damages, including any special, indirect, incidental or consequential loss or damage, which the user may incur or experience as a result of the use or possession of the information or associated storage media.
All requests for data/information are accepted via email, fax or Canada Post.
All requests must include:
- company/organization name
- physical address
- contact person(s) name
- phone and fax numbers
- email address
- list of products required
- the intended use of the data
Data is only available in its native data format as identified in each product description.
Varies and is dependent on the specific product and/or volume of data requested.
To utilize digital information, specialized graphics or GIS software (that is, ArcInfo™, ArcView™, ArcGIS™ or MicroStation™) may be required.
Online delivery option
Data will be delivered via the ministry's external FTP (File Transfer Protocol) site utilizing WinZip® password encrypted files. Data may also be provided via email with the exception of data exceeding reasonable size limits.
File compression technology shall be utilized when required.
Custom order process
Limited custom order processing of Provincial Geospatial Centre information may be available to Alberta Environment and Parks personnel and contractors working on behalf of the ministry.
Requests for information are processed and completed in order of receipt with the exception of Alberta Environment and Parks requests that have been authorized as priority status. All requests for information are completed within 5 working days of receiving the request wherever possible.
Data is provided free of charge unless otherwise indicated.
Connect with the Data Distribution Unit:
Provincial Geospatial Centre
Environment and Parks
14th Floor, Oxbridge Place
9820 106 Street NW
Edmonton, Alberta T5K 2J6