Alberta has 2 types of rental agreements:

  • fixed term
  • periodic

The Checklist for Tenants (PDF, 113 KB) gives new tenants important questions to ask their landlords before signing an agreement.


Tenancy week
A tenancy week is a week defined between the landlord and tenant in the rental agreement to outline the length of the rental period, and can start on any day of the week. For instance, a tenancy week could be from Thursday until the following Wednesday.
Tenancy month
A tenancy month is a month defined between the landlord and tenant in the rental agreement, and can start on any day of the month. For instance, a tenancy month could be from the 15th of the month until the 14th of the next.

Fixed term agreement

A fixed term tenancy begins and ends on specific dates.

For example, a landlord and tenant may agree the tenancy will be for a fixed term of 2 years from January 1, 2012, to December 31, 2013. On December 31, 2013, at noon, the tenancy will automatically end. No notice is required to end the tenancy by either the landlord or the tenant.

Periodic agreement

A periodic tenancy has a start date but no end date.

Either the landlord or tenant may end a periodic tenancy by giving notice. Most periodic tenancies are month-to-month, but they can also be week-to-week or year-to-year.

Boarding and employer accommodations

Boarding refers to accommodations where the landlord provides both the room and in some situations meals and the landlord does not live in the residence. The landlord decides whether the agreement will be a fixed or periodic term.

Employer accommodations refers to when an employer rents a residence to an employee.

Application of the legislation

The Residential Tenancies Act (RTA) applies to tenants who rent residential premises, such as a house, apartment, mobile home and duplex. The RTA also applies to a tenant who lives in a rental property for more than 6 consecutive months at a:

  • hotel
  • motel
  • motor hotel
  • resort
  • lodge
  • tourist camp
  • cottage, cabin located in a campground or a trailer park
  • tourist home
  • bed and breakfast home
  • farm vacation home


Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 780-427-4088
Toll free: 1-877-427-4088 before the phone number (in Alberta)

Was this page helpful?

All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.