Vehicle registrations expire on an assigned month based on your surname. You can look up your expiry date on the registration expiry date chart. Or, check your licence plate tags or registration certificate.
There are 3 options to renew your registration:
- by mail
- in person
Sign up for an email reminder
Sign up with My Alberta eServices and we'll remind you when it's time to renew your driver's licence/identification card and/or vehicle registration. You'll receive an email 2 months before and then again 2 weeks before the expiry date.
Albertans with parking placards for persons with disabilities, disabled licence plates or who are over the age of 70 will receive mailed reminders until April 1, 2017.
The online site can only be used if you are renewing your registration without changes. If you require any changes to your registration, for example a name or address change, you must apply for the renewal in person at a registry agent office.
If you have any outstanding fines, you won’t be able to renew your registration online. If you choose to pay your fines online first, you must wait a couple days for the payment to process before you can renew online.
If you are less than 10 business days away from your expiry date on your registration, please renew your registration in person.
To renew online, you’ll need:
- your vehicle registration certificate
- the insurance details from your pink card
- a credit card (VISA, MasterCard or American Express)
- a current web browser (Internet Explorer 6 or higher, Firefox, Chrome or Safari)
Renew by mail
To renew your vehicle registration by mail, please allow 30 days prior to the expiry date on your registration to allow time to process and mail your new registration. If you are less than 30 days from the expiry on your registration, please renew your registration in person or online.
If you have any outstanding fines, changes to your registration (for example your name or address), you must apply for the renewal in person at a registry agent office.
To renew by mail, you’ll need:
- Complete one of the mail-in renewal forms below, including the insurance declaration and signatures from all registrants, provide payment (cheque or money order)
- General mail-in renewal form (1 MB) for use by anyone
- AMA Mail-in renewal form (2 MB) for AMA members requesting service through AMA only
Please refer to the renewal form or the registry agent product catalogue (0.4 MB) to determine the required fees.
To renew your vehicle registration in person, please visit any authorized Alberta Registry Agent.
To renew in-person, you’ll need:
- your driver’s licence
- valid proof of insurance (‘pink card’)
- current vehicle registration certificate (optional)
Vehicle registration expiry dates
Your vehicle registration will expire at midnight on the last day of the specified month.
|Family/Company name begins with||Registration expires end of month|