At about 3:15 a.m. that same day, Edmonton Police Service (EPS) officers encountered a GMC Sierra displaying a stolen licence plate. After briefly losing sight of the vehicle, it was located abandoned near a gas station at 104 Street and 58 Avenue. Officers contained the area and a dog handler and police service dog tracked from the vehicle to the backyard of a residence in the area of 105 Street and 60 Avenue, where the 44-year-old man was located. Officers directed the man to surrender and a confrontation occurred that resulted in a physical struggle and a conducted energy weapon (CEW) being deployed. Once the man was contained following arrest, he was examined by Emergency Medical Services (EMS) personnel, the CEW darts were removed, and he was left in police custody.

The man was transported for detention at the EPS Southwest Division. While searching the vehicle, an officer inadvertently sustained a needle stick injury from a hypodermic needle. In the circumstances, police requested a voluntary blood sample from the 44-year-old man, which he agreed to provide. He was transported to hospital for that purpose. While at the hospital, the man, still in pain, was examined by hospital staff and it was believed that he had a minor fracture of the orbital floor bone, not requiring surgery, in addition to other possible injuries. He was admitted to hospital, where he remains.

ASIRT’s investigation will examine the conduct of police during this incident, including the circumstances surrounding the man’s arrest, to determine whether police conduct may have caused or contributed to the injuries sustained, and, if so, whether the involved use of force was lawful. With ASIRT’s investigation underway, no further information will be released at this time.

ASIRT’s mandate is to effectively, independently and objectively investigate incidents involving Alberta’s police that have resulted in serious injury or death to any person, as well as serious or sensitive allegations of police misconduct.


This release is distributed by the Government of Alberta on behalf of the Alberta Serious Incident Response Team.