To limit the number of Albertans who need to visit registry agents in person, corporate registry services, personal property services and select motor vehicle services, such as vehicle registration renewals and replacement or cancellation of driver’s licences, are now being offered remotely.
Services available remotely
Registry agents are offering the following registry services through alternative delivery methods:
- All corporate registry services, available by fax or email
- All personal property registry services, available by fax or email
- Select motor vehicles services, available by telephone, fax, mail or email (with secure encryption), including:
- One-year driver’s licence and identification card renewals (with existing photo)
- Driver’s licence and ID card replacement or cancellation
- Vehicle registration renewals
- If no changes are required to passenger vehicle or motorcycle registrations, one-year renewals can be completed online
- Duplicate vehicle registration certificates
- Replacement expiry date stickers for licence plates
- Vehicle registration transfers (to a new vehicle)
- Driver abstracts
- Specialty plate orders
There are some services that registry agents cannot process remotely, and therefore require in-person service, including:
- New driver’s licence or ID card applications
- Driver’s licence and ID card renewals requiring an updated photo
- Vital Statistics services, such as ordering birth or death certificates
- The Government of Alberta has identified registry agents as an essential service.
- Some registry agents have voluntarily closed, and others may be operating with reduced hours. Albertans should phone ahead to ensure the agent is open.
- Albertans with driver’s licences, ID cards and vehicle registrations expiring March 17 through May 14 have until May 15 to renew.