When completed, the Vivo recreation centre will be about 50 per cent larger. This will allow more people greater access to a broader scope of fitness, educational and family fun activities.
The government is investing $15 million in new funding to support improvements at Vivo. The renewed centre will include an expanded swimming pool, a fitness space, an indoor park and an active living research and innovation classroom area.
“Our government is prioritizing infrastructure investments that will have a positive, long-lasting impact on Albertans. This is certainly the case with the Vivo recreation centre renewal project. Not only are we helping to build an even greater facility, we are helping to build healthier communities and supporting long-term local jobs.”
“As the minister responsible for sport, recreation and physical activity in the province, I am excited about the Vivo project and how it will create new opportunities for people to be more active more often. Community-focused facilities like Vivo contribute to the health, well-being and quality of life for all Albertans.”
“This is an investment in the community now and also for future generations. I am very proud we are moving ahead with such a vital project that will benefit many individuals and families in so many ways. Our government understands the Vivo recreation centre renewal project is an investment in people and communities.”
- The Vivo for Healthier Generations recreation centre expansion will include:
- an eight-lane 25-metre pool and water slide
- a larger fitness centre providing more floor space studios, change rooms and dryland training area
- an indoor park that will allow the facility to offer physical and social activities typically available at an outdoor park
- a research and innovation centre which will include classroom space for outreach and community programming
- This project is supported by Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program (ICIP).
- Alberta has been allocated $3.65 billion over 10 years by the Government of Canada for the ICIP.