Dynamic conditions related to wildfires in the area are resulting in periodic highway closures. Northbound traffic headed to the NWT on Highway 35 is being held in High Level. Southbound traffic on Highway 35 is being held in Enterprise, NWT.
Alberta Transportation is in close contact with local responders in the High Level area and with partners in the NWT to ensure travellers do not enter dangerous areas. The closure of Highway 35 may be in effect for an extended period, due to unpredictable wildfire behaviour. Travellers are reminded to follow the directions of local responders and use caution due to reduced visibility.
All travellers and media should check 511 Alberta for most recent updates related to the closure of Highway 35.
- Highway 35 is open between High Level and the Zama City turnoff. Travel is not permitted north of the Zama City turnoff.
- Highway 35 is closed between approximately five km south of High Level and five km north of Highway 695 (Keg River turnoff). Access to Keg River remains open.
- Highway 697 is closed between Highway 35 and Range Road 185, east of the La Crete Ferry.
- The La Crete Ferry is closed.
- Northbound travelers from the Peace River area should detour using Highway 986 to Highway 88.
- Highway 58 remains closed between High Level and approximately 90 km west, at the junction of Range Road 45A (south of Chateh)
- Highway 58 remains closed between High Level and approximately 90 km west, at the junction of Range Road 45A (south of Chateh).