Cold and snow expected across Alberta
Motorists should drive to the conditions as winter weather arrives in parts of the province.
Public weather warnings and alerts are in place for much of south and west Alberta, with as much as 30 centimetres of snow expected in the mountain parks and foothills, including the City of Calgary.
Drivers are advised to prepare for winter conditions and adjust driving habits accordingly.
- Know before you go – check 511 Alberta for the latest real time road conditions.
- Posted speed limits are the maximum intended for ideal summer driving conditions. Drivers are reminded to slow down and drive for changing conditions.
- Rain can make roads slick, and snow can accumulate quickly and reduce visibility. Adjust your speed accordingly.
- Clear all snow and ice from the windshield and windows before driving, and turn on headlights to activate tail lights and increase visibility.
- Remember to maintain a safe distance between vehicles.
- Keep a winter emergency kit in your vehicle.
- Please give snowplows room to work – stay back at least 10 metres to prevent collisions.
- Consider postponing non-essential travel.