Drive cautiously as winter storm approaches
Albertans are advised to use extra caution on highways.
Areas across Alberta are under heavy snowfall or winter storm warnings. Accumulations between 15 and 25 centimetres are expected in various regions by Saturday.
Drivers are advised to prepare for winter conditions and adjust driving habits accordingly.
- Know before you go – check 511 Alberta for the latest real time road conditions.
- Drivers should consider postponing non-essential travel.
- Posted speed limits are the maximum intended for ideal summer conditions. Drivers are reminded to slow down and drive for winter conditions.
- Snow can accumulate quickly and visibility will be reduced.
- Drivers are encouraged to have winter or all-weather tires on their vehicles.
- Drivers are reminded to activate headlights so that tail lights are visible to other drivers following behind.
- All vehicles should have a winter emergency kit during the winter months.
- Please give snowplows room to work – stay back at least 10 metres to prevent collisions.